October 26, 2020

Revisiting 2 Way SB Acoustic Speakers System

Two years ago, I made 2 way speakers system using a local brand drivers. It is SB Acoustic SB16PFC25-08 for the woofer and SB19ST-C000-4 for the tweeter. The speakers finished and the sound is amazing. It become my reference speakers to listen the music in my audio system.

I wish you followed my blog about building this speakers in Part 1 Part 2 Part 4 and Final Part. I explain all steps when building this speakers.

Times passes very quick since that built until one day, on my daily listening session, I  think the cross-over point is all correct and I can start to glued it inside the speakers box.

So here I am today, visiting this speakers again.


As my own procedure, I always inspecting what I did before. I also open my previous post for my reference. I also draw the schematic above for my easy reference. This cross-over is 2nd order low pass and 3rd order high pass.

These are the components: 

C1 = 3,9uF

C2 = 10uF

C3 = 6,8uF

L1 = 0,1mH

L2 = 0,68mH

The resistor on R1 is the tuning point. I remember previously I should make several test until I got the sweet spot for the resistor value to make the sound from both tweeter and the woofer blend together.

In the previous part, I adding a resistor series configuration until I got total value for the R1 is 4,2 ohm. It is lowering the resistance value to get more louder high pass for tweeter drivers. It is sound perfectly fine and I enjoying the result very much.



As you can see the PCB are lying inside the box, this is because for any anticipating for any future upgrade in the crossover circuit.

But since there are no changes from the last built, so right now I just want to glued it inside the box.


Oh wait, this is the series resistor I installed before.

This is the parts that I want to make some changes.



Lately, I feel like I need more airy on the high frequency.

Maybe it is true from what most people said that, the older you get, the more deaf to hear the higher audio frequency.

It might be correct, I demanding more open on higher frequency now. Then I make some change again by reducing the resistor value on the R1 using 3,3 ohm resistor instead.

The value of the R1 will determine how loudness the high frequency response by the tweeter.



Once it is done, then I put lots of glue on the bottom of the PCB and inside the box as well.


It sat nicely on the corner. I leave it dry for about few hours before I covered it with the sound damping material.



It is all done now.

The PCB has been glued inside the box and the resistor value is now changed to 3,3 ohm.

The sound after changing the resistor value to 3,3 ohm is not so much different than before. Right now the sound is more airy and detail on the high frequency. The overall sound signature still the same.

That is all the update for this 2 way SB Acoustic Speakers System.

Cheers.



Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment