October 18, 2020

Latest Apple Universal Dock Sound Better

I put the name 'Retro Tech' on this post headline is actually for a 15 year ago Apple product. Perhaps the name 'Retro' is suitable for every digital technology for more than 10 years old. Like this iPod portable music player, the lifetime was passes. I guess right now, no one use iPod for playing music anymore.

The Apple product with older 30 pin connector start to extinct as well. I am quite remember I got my first iPod, it is the 5th gen from my saving at my job in 2003. It is sound good and later on I was told that this model is the best sounding iPod so far because it is using the Wolfson DAC inside.

Today, so many portable digital media player around. They are more advance in reading many hi-res audio file and yet affordable. Sadly the iPod and all Apple product today still stick to its Apple Lossless format or WAV.

The iPod may be left behind right now, but for me, the user interface is the best among the others. You will agree with me for sure. I remember I had a dream in my early years using the iPod is having all their accessories. The one I really want is the Universal Dock connect to my home stereo system. It is very expensive at that time, but lucky today, I still can get the brand new for very affordable price. This newer version Apple Universal Dock is sound better compare to the previous model. So let's see it closer.

So here it is, the newer version of the Apple Universal Dock. As you can see the main difference is the remote control is now all aluminum material. This remote control, in my opinion is the best design from Apple in their accessories line up. It really nice to touch, simple buttons arrangement and thin profile.



Now let's see the docking it self. At the back is the port for audio line out, which is a 3,5 mm jack and in the middle is the 30 pin Apple proprietary connector. The audio out still controlled by internal volume control so you can connect to your home stereo system or headphones as well.

The sound quality when connect the headphones through this Apple Universal Dock will sound better. More powerful and richer in my opinion.


This docking is a simple iPod top loading, which the fitment are compatible by using the included adapter for various iPod or iPhone model at that time.

The front face has a black line for remote control receiver. I find that the remote control still can be work normally without need to aim the IR blaster each others.


This newer model number is A1371.


Luckily I still had my old photo of the first model Apple Universal Dock to compare. The main difference is the remote control itself is built by plastic material. This older dock model number is A1256.



The remote control is just like a toy compares to the newer model.


So, why I said the latest Apple Universal Dock sound better?

Lately I am using again my iPod touch 3rd gen connect to this newer Apple Universal Dock model A1371 and plug to my headphones. It accompany me during today work from home quarantine. The sound quality using the dock is noticeable more powerful to drive high impedance headphone like here Beyerdynamic T1. This lead to better sounding and better separation in music compare if I only using the iPod headphone out directly. Quite strange because I don't have similar sound quality with the older model.

The fun fact is, for every iPod or the Apple Universal Dock headphones out, they have the impedance sensor in it. Means it will adjust the gain level output by self sensing the headphone impedance that you connecting to the device. This really useful to drive the headphones connected by proper gain setup.


In this test, I also connect this dock to my home audio system. It is sound good. I think I can accept this sound quality and listening all my ripped CD to WAV audio files on it. There is no noticeable degradation in sound quality compares to the true line-out connector I've made before here. I max out the internal iPod volume control and using the power amplifier volume control instead.

I am quite remember the reason I sold the old model Apple Universal Dock is because there is so much sound degradation using the dock, but not with this newer version. This is probably the DAC inside the dock is different with the previous model.

By using this Apple universal dock, iPod doesn't use it's own DAC and only pass the digital audio out to the dock. Then the internal dock DAC run the conversion and make the analog audio out.


So if the DAC is using the internal dock, then changing to different iPod model it should sound the same right?

Yes it is. I change to the iPod 5th generation connect to the dock and it sound the same compares when using the iPod touch.

When I using low impedance earphones like my Sony MH1, I really like the sound directly from the iPod 5th generation headphones jack compares to the DAC inside the dock. But remember, the dock output is more powerful and this very suitable when using high impedance headphones or connect to the home audio system.


I stored away my Chord Mojo for a while and using this iPod dock in my home audio system.

I am quite happy when using this dock especially with the Apple user interface on it. It is so simple to turn on and turn off the device by only press the play/pause on the remote control.

The sound is not as good as the Chord Mojo for sure, it is less detail, less spacious, and blurry on the low frequency, but the simplicity in operation makes me enjoy listening the music more and more.


I think that's I can share with this Apple universal dock. It is obsolete technology for sure, but having it is still brings joy for me.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment