October 5, 2018

Building 2 Way SB Acoustic Speakers (Part 2) The Crossover Network

In this post I will building the crossover network for this SB Acoustic speaker project.

Building a crossover network is not an easy job. Especially to determined the frequency cutting point and slope, then a proper measurement should be done correctly. Each crossover's components value is also very critical, especially when designing for the high pass filter. Then, when it is finished, it require to test by listening the result. On many cases, the sound need to be corrected by changing the components value by trial and error.

This is a long project if I start from the scratch. So to make it more simple, I was searching any information related to the driver that I am using in this project. I found this blog, which this gentlemen is very helpful to give many information related to his speakers project using SB Acoustic drivers. His project is called LARK. My speakers box dimension almost exactly the same to his drawing.

Then for the crossover schematic, after I did a comparation between his schematic to the others, I found that this SB Acoustic official web is more suitable for my speaker project.

So I build this crossover network based on that websites as the basic idea.


I ordered all components related to building this crossover. The package has arrived yesterday and I wait no more to make the crossover network assembled.

As usual, the major components for any crossover network is only consist of inductor, capacitor, and resistor.

For the inductor I use here is air core and hand winding copper coil.


For the capacitor I am use here is the affordable Bennic capacitor. It is a good quality film capacitor and a well known brand that almost all commercial speaker in the market using this brand.


The resistor I using in this project is the most expensive one. I cannot find a good resistor within the value I want, so the solution is using this Jantzen resistor.

This Jentzen resistor is a reputable brand especially for the crossover builder around the world.


My initial planned is using electrolytic capacitor for large value capacitor. But when I see the capacitor quality, I don't think I will use them.


I still keep my new old stock Nichicon BP-S capacitor. The same value but so much better quality capacitor.


I using used crossover PCB dismantled from car speaker crossover network.


The overall crossover layout will be like this.


But before I start building it, let me share the schematic first.

This schematic is based on SB Acoustic Micro, 2 way crossover recommendation.



All I have to do is using exactly the same components as shown in the schematic above.



When all components are connected, then it is all done.

Overall, it is very neat design and I just need to put it into the speakers box.

But I still have to wait another week until the speaker box that I ordered are completely finish.

Until then, see you.


Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

1 comment: