October 12, 2018

Building 2 Way SB Acoustic Speakers (Part 3) The Workshop

I am not a carpenter, nor the speaker box builder. In the past, I usually bought a readily available box. It cannot customized based on my personal preference and the quality are not consistent.

My single driver full range speaker here is my first experience using more professional speakers box builder. The result is blowing my mind. It is of course more expensive, but the result is far beyond my imagination.

With the owner permission, I can share his workshop and find out how those speakers are build here in this small house.


The workshop name is SS-Audio and the websites is here.

He made custom box design based on customer preference, but he also can give the recommendation about the more suitable size and design based on what the driver is use.

The first time I came into his workshop, I standing on his working desk. This is the place where the owner making the crossover network, building an amplifier and others electronic stuff.


This workshop is not big, but I enjoy to see almost everything is made from this small place.

There are a lot of on going project are queuing waiting to be work on.



It is interesting to know that the owner build his own inductor for the crossover network.


Bellow photo is a finished inductor ready to install inside the speakers.


The MDF board are stacked in many size. This will tell how much the project are on going with that current stock.


On the others corner, I spot the veneer for overlay the boxes.

There are many colors and wood style to choose by the customer. I am one of them that already chosen one for my speakers box.


The speaker drivers are also in stock.

For entry level speaker, SS-Audio using local Audax drivers.

But for higher grade, the option are plenty. I am quite surprise there are many SB Acoustic driver in stock. I found few Satori drivers for more higher grade speakers project.



This is how all speakers boxes are made.

All is done in-house.


This is the new improvement from SS Audio speaker design. The oval design at the speaker side wall reminds me of the Wharfedale Diamond series speakers.




One room are specialized for cutting process, it is well ventilated and isolated from others room for healthy and clean workshop.


I might figure this is their speaker for testing purpose. It is quite old and still at it good shape.


After take some photo, I guess my speakers box already wrap tight to prevent any bump or scratch during delivery


There are also one listening room on separate house for you to compare all the speakers build by SS-Audio. I am not taken the picture on it, but if you still curious, you can find it on google maps photo or on his website.

So, that is all about the workshop tour. I will continue my speakers build on the next post.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment