Skip to main content

Building 2 Way SB Acoustic Speakers (Part 5) The Crossover Upgrade

I shall repeat that the result of this speaker box built is very good.

The cutting for each drivers holes are precise, so I just need to put all in placed. Previously I have shared the  assembly process which is very easy. I just install the cables from the driver to the crossover and to the input terminal.

So in this post, I will do some upgrade on the crossover components. Check this out.


Right now I replace the Nichicon BP to this Bennic film capacitor and adding another 15 ohm Jentzen resistor that will install in parallel with the existing resistor.

The new Bennic film capacitor in theory will sound better compares to the electrolytic capacitor.

And for adding another 15 ohm resistor in parallel at the high pass filter will reduce the resistance but increase the loudness of the tweeter.

The sound with this upgrade probably will resulting more smoother response on both drivers.



This is the new resistor solder into the board, connected parallel to the existing resistor to get a lowered resistance value.


The resistor is now measured 4,2 ohm. By lowering the resistance, this will increasing the loudness of the tweeter.


The crossover is put on the bottom of the box.

I am using a nut to keep the PCB on place.


This crossover upgrade is now finished.

I test it on my audio system and the sound is as my expectation emphasis on more balanced between each drivers.

I guess I will stay with this upgrade for a while before judging on how good the sound quality is.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPA1622 Vs. OPA627 High Performance Op-amps Comparison

This op-amps comparison topic is actually boring, but at the same time, many of us still curious about what others think about it. The reason is simply because of the op-amps variation are hundreds and they are depends by the implementation. The op-amps are considerably cheap and an interchangeable electronic components but they are not built for the same function. So in this discussion, I will focus on the modern Vs. vintage high performance op-amps in the simple non-inverting pre-amplifier gain stage.

Vintage Multibit R2R DAC Tier List

At the very beginning of this year, I committed to explore the best multi-bit R2R DAC. This is simply because I have plenty of the resources (from broken old unit CD player of course) and ability to build them up. If you think this kind a recycle from old un-used unit to become something useful, than I should stated myself giving contribute for greener world:) After all DAC that I built in this year, I think it is better for me to list them up again in one single page like this. Then I will rank them up in a simple tier list. The reason for this, so you all know what my opinion about of those vintage multibit R2R DAC especially in the sound quality.

Signal Path Capacitor Comparison - Elna Cerafine Vs. Silmic II

I you following the discussion online, there are many endless debate about sound quality improvement from one capacitors to another. Some of them did a comparison between certain branded capacitors, which in my opinion, the result are very subjective. To make this comparison more crowded, so in this post will I adding another capacitor comparison.  Previously I did a capacitor upgrade on the Pioneer KEH-P9750 head unit using Elna Silmic capacitor for the signal path only. I will take this opportunity to compare between the Elna Silmic II and the Elna Cerafine. Both capacitor are produced by the same company. I believe the result would be more objective.