October 20, 2018

Building 2 Way SB Acoustic Speakers (Part 5) The Crossover Upgrade

I shall repeat that the result of this speaker box built is very good.

The cutting for each drivers holes are precise, so I just need to put all in placed. Previously I have shared the  assembly process which is very easy. I just install the cables from the driver to the crossover and to the input terminal.

So in this post, I will do some upgrade on the crossover components. Check this out.


Right now I replace the Nichicon BP to this Bennic film capacitor and adding another 15 ohm Jentzen resistor that will install in parallel with the existing resistor.

The new Bennic film capacitor in theory will sound better compares to the electrolytic capacitor.

And for adding another 15 ohm resistor in parallel at the high pass filter will reduce the resistance but increase the loudness of the tweeter.

The sound with this upgrade probably will resulting more smoother response on both drivers.



This is the new resistor solder into the board, connected parallel to the existing resistor to get a lowered resistance value.


The resistor is now measured 4,2 ohm. By lowering the resistance, this will increasing the loudness of the tweeter.


The crossover is put on the bottom of the box.

I am using a nut to keep the PCB on place.


This crossover upgrade is now finished.

I test it on my audio system and the sound is as my expectation emphasis on more balanced between each drivers.

I guess I will stay with this upgrade for a while before judging on how good the sound quality is.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment