April 7, 2020

Nakamichi PA-100 Power Amplifier Installation

In this post will show to you my latest work on my car audio system.

The audio system on my Honda Brio is so simple. I want to keep this car as light as possible and for that reason, I just using the Pioneer AVH-G115DVD head unit and a pair of JBL GT7 coaxial speaker at the front only.

With this simple audio system, is it sound good? Not really actually. It is sound metallic and thin on mid-range. Apparently this is the most today audio sounds like. Too much digital interference that suck up the soul from the music.

So I think I want to recover it. I still have the old-school Nakamichi PA-100 power amplifier that I think this would be sound better (in quality) than the internal amplifier of the Pioneer head unit does.


The Nakamichi PA-100 here it is the older version of the PA-102. There is no difference in the amplification circuit between them. This PA-100 amplifier unit only deliver 14 watt per channel and does not require so much current like others amplifier. The positive power wiring in this unit is should taken from ACC power cable rather connect directly to the battery. This is to avoid too much battery drain from the amplifier circuit while the car engine is not running.

Nakamichi PA-100 is made in Japan. This is the original Nakamichi far before the acquisition to others Asian company. You can check my post here about the internal component of this amplifier.

I like the small size of this amplifier. This will give more flexibility to put this amplifier anywhere in the car. Like what I do right now is install this unit inside the center console. I secure the cable with cloth tape and it's really looks like the OEM installation.




So how is this amplifier sounds like?

Although this amplifier only have small power output, but the sound quality is far better than the internal power amplifier from the Pioneer head unit.

The sound with this amplifier is smoother, especially on high frequency. The mid range sound warm and far from digital analytical sound. The bass more pronounce and punchy which makes me forget this amplifier only 14 watt per channel.

Using this amplifier like completely having the new audio system.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment