April 2, 2020

JVC PC-5 The Real Mini Component Audio System

My "working from home" is extended until 19th April, I have been at home about 2 weeks already and guess what, I recognize that the old traditional transistor radio is more important than my home audio system.

Don't be miss judge about this statement yet. My audio system is great. It is sound very good and it is a waste if you not pay attention when it play the music. But while I am working, my concentrate of course on the working material in my laptop. Then Radio system with low volume very suitable accompany me during working. Sometimes the great music is played and boost up my mood in the working day, but often I tuning up the tuner just to explore to another radio station.

The sound quality is better than free Sportify:)

Then about this radio is JVC PC-5 that I bought on flea market few weeks ago, far before I am working at home for only US$5. Very cheap and I will not bother to get it for my collection.


This JVC PC-5 is made in Japan, built around 1981, and it sound really good until now

When I was a little kid. I am quite remember visiting my friends house and I found that some of their parent have this JVC PC-5 mini component audio system. Mostly they put it on their bed room. Exactly the same unit like I got here now. Not once, but I guess I have seen it more than twice on different friends house.

This machine is for sure very popular at that time and I just realized now that the sound comes from this unit is very good.

For the radio itself, especially for the FM radio reception is very strong and clear.

The sound quality is great for this little component system. The 4 inch full range speaker that looks like a 2 way speaker is a bass heavy sound with clear mid range but little roll-off at the high frequency.


This JVC PC-5 components system can be separate for each of the units. This give myself a flexibility to choose what I want to put in my desk.

I aware not many consumer understand for the complication of the separate system like this JVC PC-5. You should plug the RCA cables on the back panel and the DC cables as well.

Complicated?

Yes for un-experienced user.

For me, I will only using the radio and the amplifier. I will remove the cassette deck that I am not using anymore.

It is already broken anyway.


By this setup, it is look more modern, more up to date to today audio standard.

I also notice there is an AUX input on the amplifier side. I can hook up my iPod to this amplifier if I want or any source to play through this JVC PC-5 system.


Counting this JVC PC-5 is almost 40 years old and it is still working good, it is not a surprise for the real Japan made device that built for last.

The only things need to be service is the speakers, switches and the potentiometer that will fail by some time.

Like this unit, you can see one speaker center cap is already detach from the cone and I need to service it.


The first step is removing the front panel of the speaker. The speaker itself is build by wood and the front is build by plastic for cosmetic only.



I clean up the dust as much as I can.





Continue open all the parts and start cleaning it.


The speaker is single 4 inch full range in bass-reflex enclosure.


The surround foam is already detach from the cone and need to be glue together again.



The speaker terminal is somehow using a very good quality plastic.


As usual, the cable inside is covered with cloth tape for tidiness and less vibration cause by the speakers.



The speaker is all set.

Not the cleanest things I can do, but it is better than the first time I got this unit. I will let the speaker on this position for a day to let the glue dry completely.


Next things is the amplifier need to be clean as well.


If you ask me why today component audio system sound harsh and very digital? Then you should look at this JVC PC-5 internal amplifier.

It using linear power supply.

This is big transformer instead of today more efficient switch mode power supply is heavy and less efficient but it reflect to the sound to become more analog and musical.


I forgot to mention this JVC PC-5 whole unit weight is more than 8 kg. You can imagine if today mini component system in this weight, then how much they will sell to consumer.


The power amplifier is using dual IC AN7156. Not so popular for today standard, but it working good in this system.


I clean up the slider volume control and input selector switch using contact cleaner spray. It rattles free after this cleaning attempt.


For the radio unit I also do the same way.


This is the tuner IC using in the JVC PC-5 radio system. I still amaze on how strong is the radio reception. The signal FM, AM, and SW can be receive inside my house clearly.



It is all done now and it working perfectly.

Great timing I get this unit since I will stay longer working from home and this mini component audio system will accompany me during my working day:)


Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

4 comments:

  1. Good job I owned the same one and looking to get another one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good job, this is the best JVC boombox ever made

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you switch the voltage switch?

    ReplyDelete