Skip to main content

Nakamichi PA-100 The Smallest Car Audio Amplifier

I make this post after I cleaned my storage room last weekend.

I found this unique small car amplifier. It is Nakamichi PA-100. This finding is surprising me since I don't know that I still keep this old school amplifier until now.

If I don't mistaken, I bought this small amplifier in the second hand condition around late 90's and I have no idea where is it now until I found it.
 

Nakamichi PA-100 is the original car amplifier that made in Japan. This is not a today Nakamichi brand that owned by other Asian company.

This amplifier size is so small, just the same size of your palm of the hand. It is built by all thick aluminum casing that use for the amplifier heat-sink as well. The bottom plate is also an aluminum sheet with gold wording as the characteristic of all original Nakamichi amplifier at that era.


This amplifier power output is only 14 watt per channel. By any means, this is a small power output compares to today amplifier.

I have a question across my mind about how this amplifier perform. Will it compete with the built-in car head unit amplifier that have bigger output power? As we all know head unit like Pioneer, Sony or Alpine have the power output much bigger than this. But I don't know how is the sound quality.

The good point with this amplifier is it has independent gain control for each channel. This could be a useful adjustment for each channel gain to get more balanced sound level.


As my curiosity go up, I want disassembly this unit and look the components inside.

I found this unit using high quality electrolytic capacitor such as Nichicon MUSE and Elna Cerafine only for the input capacitor. The cables for the RCA input is using hi-grade copper shielded cables.

I have a difficulty to taking photo of the power amplifier IC. For sure the IC is TA7240AP using one per channel.
 


That's all about this Nakamichi PA-100 power amplifier that looks nice and I glad I still have it.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPA1622 Vs. OPA627 High Performance Op-amps Comparison

This op-amps comparison topic is actually boring, but at the same time, many of us still curious about what others think about it. The reason is simply because of the op-amps variation are hundreds and they are depends by the implementation. The op-amps are considerably cheap and an interchangeable electronic components but they are not built for the same function. So in this discussion, I will focus on the modern Vs. vintage high performance op-amps in the simple non-inverting pre-amplifier gain stage.

Vintage Multibit R2R DAC Tier List

At the very beginning of this year, I committed to explore the best multi-bit R2R DAC. This is simply because I have plenty of the resources (from broken old unit CD player of course) and ability to build them up. If you think this kind a recycle from old un-used unit to become something useful, than I should stated myself giving contribute for greener world:) After all DAC that I built in this year, I think it is better for me to list them up again in one single page like this. Then I will rank them up in a simple tier list. The reason for this, so you all know what my opinion about of those vintage multibit R2R DAC especially in the sound quality.

Signal Path Capacitor Comparison - Elna Cerafine Vs. Silmic II

I you following the discussion online, there are many endless debate about sound quality improvement from one capacitors to another. Some of them did a comparison between certain branded capacitors, which in my opinion, the result are very subjective. To make this comparison more crowded, so in this post will I adding another capacitor comparison.  Previously I did a capacitor upgrade on the Pioneer KEH-P9750 head unit using Elna Silmic capacitor for the signal path only. I will take this opportunity to compare between the Elna Silmic II and the Elna Cerafine. Both capacitor are produced by the same company. I believe the result would be more objective.