November 26, 2014

Bookshelf Speaker Vifa TG9 Vs. Visaton SC13

I wish you have following this blog and you will aware that I am using a pair of DIY small full range speaker in my audio setup. This speaker is using a single driver from Vifa TG9. It is a 3.5 inch full range driver which the sound is surprisingly wonderful. You can read my review of Vifa TG9 here.

As always, DIY audio is a journey. I wish I could have a bigger driver for the single driver full range speakers as the replacement for my current speaker using Vifa TG9. Naturally the bigger driver should have better bass response. That is why, from few days before, I really put my interest on this Visaton SC13, a 5 inch full range driver that I think it could perform really well for the full-range speaker project.

So how good is this Visaton SC13 compare to the Vifa TG9? I will reveal in this post.


The main reason and my goal to choose this Visaton SC13 is to get more bass from my audio system. The larger the cone theoretically will deliver more air to push the bass forward. The overall sound quality for this Visaton SC13 hopefully can deliver as good as Vifa TG9. No specification or frequency response on paper can telling how one driver will sound better than another except I should try it by myself.

I studied from the Visaton SC13 data sheet, I decided to build the sealed box for this speaker. It should perform well on bigger box and this is the reason why the size of the box for this Visaton is far bigger than the Vifa TG9.

Here is the comparison size between the box of the Vifa and the Visaton.


I order the custom box for the Visaton SC13 with the natural light wood finish. The design is retro look just like the Vifa TG9 speaker previously.



After all finished, now it is time to hear this Visaton SC13 speaker on my audio system.

As my main reason to have the better bass response, then I could said the Visaton SC13 speaker deliver deeper bass compare to the Vifa TG9. Strange the bass is not louder as I expected.

One thing that I am not satisfy with the bass characteristic from this Visaton SC13 is slow in the response. I could hear the music are running faster than the bass. So the music presentation feel not coherent between lower and the mi range frequency.

In term of detail and clarity, I don't think the Visaton SC13 could match with the Vifa TG9. Especially the treble are not presenting really well with this Visaton SC13. I find too much dip and peak on certain high frequency comparing to the Vifa TG9 which has smoother frequency response.

Overall presentation for this Visaton SC13 are flat. High frequency cannot delivery as high as it stated on the specification. The music emotion which mostly on the mid-range also cannot deliver very well. The sound stage presentation is narrow. Something wrong with this Visaton SC13. It could be the wrong box design or maybe the driver cannot perform as I expecting.

So conclusion with this Visaton SC13 is cannot be use for a single driver full-range speaker for sure. It should be use in multi way speaker system as mid-range or woofer speaker pairing with tweeter, so the frequency response should be fuller and of course better.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment