November 3, 2014

Tripath TK2050 Amplifier Kit Review (Part 3)

This is the part 3 of this Tripath TK2050 Class D amplifier built. I want to customize the amplifier casing and it is require the high precision tools which I prefer go to the professional workshop. This amplifier appearance will become my priority. I wish the casing result will be as clean and precise as possible compares if I do it by myself using hand tools. This professional workshop will do the milling for the input and output amplifier terminal.

 
I've already using this workshop to do the same on my previous project. then once again, I will ask their help to make the precise hole in this amplifier case as well.


Let's take a look in this front panel of the amplifier case. The ladder type hole is made to fit with the ALPS potentiometer to be flush with the front panel. This is because the nut from the potentiometer is shorter compare to the thickness of the front panel.

In this process, I am always cover the front panel with the paper tape before doing any drilling. This is to avoid scratch on panel surface,



The result is as per my expectation is very nice.


The finished back panel as the connector side also consider perfect and nice to look at.
 

Because I will using the external power supply, then I should covering the IEC hole that came originally from the casing. A fiber board is cut and customized for the DC input socket along with the LED indicator above it. It not looking great and this is would be my future upgrade for adding the power supply in one amplifier case.

 

All of this  build is now finished and I will assembly all the panel and connecting the input and output terminal to the amplifier kit.

 

 
As per Tripath datasheet instruction, I need to check the DC offset and re-trim the potentiometer available on the kit for each channel setting. The value of this DC offset is remarkably small, around 0-10 mV. Compares when I built the Gainclone amplifier, I only get the DC offset as low as 30 mV up to 250 mV.

 

After all finished, then I will do the listening session comparing the sound quality with the Gainclone amplifier.

 

Source: Sony Playstation SCPH-1002
Cable: DIY Canare interconnect with Raskin RCA, DIY Canare speaker cable with generic banana plugs.
Speaker: Full range driver Vifa TG9 (will be review soon)
Amplifier: DIY Gainclone LM1875 amplifier and this DIY Tripath TK2050 with 19 volt/ 3 ampere laptop power supply

You will be surprised on how this small amplifier could deliver the power to the speakers. This class D amplifier seems effortless to punch the bass as much power as it can. Compare to the Gainclone amplifier, I can feel more punchier and tight bass deliver from this Tripath TK2050 amplifier.

One things I also impress with this amplifier is the detail and wider sound stage from this compares to the Gainclone amplifier. In this test, I playing various music genres and one of them is the rock music. The electric guitar sound is marvelous. The high pitch is come out clear and loud. Then for the jazz, the sound separation between every music instruments is good and noticeable better than the Gainclone amplifier.

But wait! Something is missing.

For the simple music arrangement, especially when it playing the piano, this Tripath amplifier deliver the music flat, no coloration. This will be very subjective. But as I comparing to the Gainclone amplifier, I prefer the same music playing with this Gainclone Amplifier. I feel the music more body and soul. Warmer and more intimate in presentation.

I will let this Tripath amplifier operate for some time until it breaking-in. As you all know, the new components sometimes sound more edgy and harsh, but it more relax when they have pass the breaking-in period. Usually over 100 hours operation. But I don't think it will be make any different in term of the sound quality.

From my opinion, this Tripath amplifier is very suitable to rock, pop, and even jazz. Especially for the detail and the bass response is more pronounce with this amplifier. The Gainclone presentation is more natural and laid back, especially for the vocal presentation, which most of audiophile is looking for is missing in this Tripath amplifier.

I still like Gainclone amplifier more than this Tripath TK2050 amplifier. At the end I can score both amplifier is a good, but listener preference playing big role to determine which one is more suitable to them.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment