Skip to main content

Ultronix Is The Best Resistor Ever?

I have heard that someone could hear the difference in audio quality by changing one resistor to another brand. Perhaps it is true! Actual condition from inside a resistor is more complex then just saying it is a passive component that have only a resistance. The resistors lead quality and the carbon or metal film quality really determined on how the resistor behave in the audio system. Maybe that condition will effect at the final result which is the sound itself.

Honestly, I could not hear the audible difference between resistors. What I know is the hi quality resistor give durability and rust free lead in the audio system. On hand, I have a unfamiliar brand resistor. It is Ultronix RB54CE. It is big resistor that anyone would say that it is a 3 watt resistor size. See the specification on the printed body will tells you that this is only 1/4 watt resistor!

The tolerance of this resistor is 0.1 % which is the lowest value I ever have in my life!

I can find the information from the internet that this resistor is use for military purpose which the precision is a key factor. It is also made from wire-wound which the durability and stability to the temperature is very good. The value I have is 20 k ohm and very suitable for feed back resistor in the Gainclone amplifier. But how well this resistor would give to the sound? I could not tell you until I test it by myself on the next project.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPA1622 Vs. OPA627 High Performance Op-amps Comparison

This op-amps comparison topic is actually boring, but at the same time, many of us still curious about what others think about it. The reason is simply because of the op-amps variation are hundreds and they are depends by the implementation. The op-amps are considerably cheap and an interchangeable electronic components but they are not built for the same function. So in this discussion, I will focus on the modern Vs. vintage high performance op-amps in the simple non-inverting pre-amplifier gain stage.

Vintage Multibit R2R DAC Tier List

At the very beginning of this year, I committed to explore the best multi-bit R2R DAC. This is simply because I have plenty of the resources (from broken old unit CD player of course) and ability to build them up. If you think this kind a recycle from old un-used unit to become something useful, than I should stated myself giving contribute for greener world:) After all DAC that I built in this year, I think it is better for me to list them up again in one single page like this. Then I will rank them up in a simple tier list. The reason for this, so you all know what my opinion about of those vintage multibit R2R DAC especially in the sound quality.

Signal Path Capacitor Comparison - Elna Cerafine Vs. Silmic II

I you following the discussion online, there are many endless debate about sound quality improvement from one capacitors to another. Some of them did a comparison between certain branded capacitors, which in my opinion, the result are very subjective. To make this comparison more crowded, so in this post will I adding another capacitor comparison.  Previously I did a capacitor upgrade on the Pioneer KEH-P9750 head unit using Elna Silmic capacitor for the signal path only. I will take this opportunity to compare between the Elna Silmic II and the Elna Cerafine. Both capacitor are produced by the same company. I believe the result would be more objective.