December 4, 2015

David Hafler XL-280 Amplifier Case For My Next Project

Finding hi quality amplifier case is a pain. Most of them are imported from China. Actually they are good aluminium case but in my opinion, they are overpriced. Plus I should consider the shipping cost which makes the price tag increase like a rocket. On the other side, there also a local cheap case that I would not even dare to touch it. It is ugly and build quality is pathetic.

So what is the solution? I could tell by using the used amplifier case. You need to find the most flat surface case for easy components mounting. In this case I will use the amplifier case from David Hafler XL-280.
This amp is very famous due to it's huge power output and sound clarity. By only looking the case, I could tell this amp has the most thick and heavy steel material. The overall size is quite compact, not small but it's also not too big at all.

At the back panel, there are standard connector just like most amplifier have. They are fuse holder, banana speaker terminals and RCA connectors.

This is the right time to dismantle it. Cleaning is needed here.

If this is a complete working amplifier, I would not dare to dismantle it only for the case:)

Look at the heat-sinks, they are thick aluminium which nothing today product can even match. The weight of each heat-sink is almost 2 kilos.

This is how it's look after cleaning. There is some scratch but I think I will leave it as original. No repaint required here.

The only my concern is the AC wall input that using pig-tail cable. Absolutely I prefer the IEC socket for AC in.

This is how I did it. To be honest, It is an expensive work. I should bring this case to the metal workshop and they do cutting as per my request.

And this is how it look now. Neat and nice amplifier case that suit my taste. I should also mention that this whole case weight is around 5 kilos.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment