December 14, 2015

Magnat Classic 400 (Part 2 Final) Installation & Bias Setting

Last week I do review here this finest amplifier and when there is a chance for me to install in my car. I can't wait any longer to experience the sound quaity from this mighty amplifier.

The installation is straight forward. It is only takes less than 30 minutes to complete all connection. All I have to do is only replacing the socket to fit into this amplifier.

I running my car audio system by 2 channel driving the front door speaker only. This amplifier is running in bridge mode. So the 4 channel will become 2 but double the power output.

Once I am done with this installation, I start to play some music. They are from Fourplay, Acoustic Alchemy, and Diana Krall music albums. I can say this amplifier perform marvelous! The music flow, the rhythm are clearly pronounce. Every detail and resolution are open that will you forget that you only using cheap speakers. It perform every note perfectly and makes you notice about how many instruments they are playing in each music. It makes me smile.

But only for a while....

I touch the heat sink and it is running very hot. I cannot barely touch this amplifier more than 3 second! Sounds not good. I remember my previous post when I setting up the bias until reach 300 mV? I believe this amplifier is running in class A mode right now.

No wonder this amplifier sound so beautiful. I never forget the characteristic of class A amplifier. I've made a home amplifier that running class A in the past years. It is a typical class A amplifier that offer full bodied sound with airy mid to high.
I am afraid of the life time when this amplifier will be shorten if running like this for long time, then I open up this amplifier again and make the bias at only 100 mV. The amplifier is now totally cool. Not even warm. The sound in this point is degrade dramatically. I am now losing many excitement that I describe before. So I think I did it to low. Iam playing too safe. So I do re-setting again up to 200 mV to give the amplifier a adequate heat while still maintaining the music resolution just like I loved.

I am smile with this amplifier for sure. The sound is now acceptable but not great as the high bias. Then I was thinking about how the class A amplifier could give so much resolution in sound compare to AB class. It is just only crank the bias setting and the amplifier running on it's fully potential.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment