December 30, 2020

In This Year, The 2020

It almost the end of year 2020 and I think this year is the toughest year of all. This is because of the pandemic and the world changes on how we used to be. It definitely impact to myself which since early 2020, I start working at home. I felt thankful for the job I still had since lots of peoples out there lost their job.

I always try to think positive. I hope you all do the same too with this situation and hopefully this pandemic will be over soon.

This post is the summary to what I've done this year 2020 and what is my top pick for the audio gears I reviewed so far.


It is seems a perfect time when working at home and listening to the music on my audio system, but in reality it is not. Quite funny I stick to the old radio to accompany me during my work. It is JVC PC-5. I bought at the junk store. This old unit have a good radio reception with the mediocre sound quality you can accept.


I see through this year, I guess I had a lot of headphones review. No doubt because most of the gears I reviewed are loan by my friend. But in return, I should tell my honest impression about the headphones I've reviewed.

I think already post all of them in my previous post and the Sennheiser HD600 really takes me into the music. It sound dynamic, warm vocal and detail. What makes me choose this headphone is because it has the best intimacy vocal sound. This headphone also become my reference to review the others headphones.

The second tier headphone in my opinion is the Audio Technica ATH-R70x. This is really surprised me as well for the sound that very similar to the Sennheiser HD600 but with only US$200. A good bargain to have one


Continue for the headphones amplifier, there is a lot stuff to review as well. I admit, until now, the Hi-Res logo doesn't impress me in a long run usage.

Let's talk about the hot product SMSL SP200. It sound great with a lot of detail, but only at the first listening impression. The longer you hear, the more unrealistic detail you got. I am better stick to the old DIY CMOY amplifier. The upgrade from the CMOY is the Massdrop Objective2 which deliver the sound more refined, more transparency especially at the top end.


The winner of the best sounding headphones amplifier in my opinion is the Bottlehead Crack amplifier. It is a desktop amplifier and sound really good. Not because it using the vacuum tubes, but it is naturally sound good. It is a single ended, zero negative feedback, and again, my choice for a good sounding headphone amplifier so far.

I was upgrade it using the speedball kit from the original Bottlehead Crack kit and also upgrading the output capacitor using M-Cap capacitors. This improve the sound quality and make the background noise darker.


As you know, last month I made a portable hybrid vacuum tube headphone amplifier. This amplifier is only can drive sensitive drivers, like an earphone. After many times I assembled the components inside the tiny tin for the best possible way to make it portable, and here is the Portable Tube Headphone Amplifier using the 18650 type batteries.

It actually sound good enough to enjoy the music from it and I really like on how the progress when building it. This project is also my first vacuum tube headphone amplifier built from ground up.


Speaking for earphones, I still vote the Sony MH-1C as the cheap yet good earphone. I using it when I was traveling before the pandemic situation. I often combine this earphone with portable DAC +headphone amplifier like the Audioquest Dragonfly or the LG Hifi Plus B&O DAC here.

I am personally doesn't like the idea to using the smartphones as the music player. I have using it with the USB Audio Player Pro App on Android which is the best application for playing music. But at the end I return to using the iPod again. The reason is just because using the iPod is more practical for me during traveling.


Nothing beat the user interface of the Apple iPod and iTunes. I ripped again my CD collection to WAV format and listen music from my iPod collection. Total of my Hi-res music files is only less than 5 percent of my total music album.

I also using the Apple universal dock which surprisingly sound much powerful, more dynamic with the line out connected to larger headphone like Beyerdynamic T1.

On the other hand, the Sony Walkman NW-A55 has accompany me during my holiday last year. I could say it sound is very good and Sony has it's own sound signature to this Walkman player.



Strange on me, I am start using the iPod again, and with the Apple dock as my source in home audio system. It really convenient to navigate the volume control and the play or pause music from the stylish aluminum wireless remote control. The recipe for good sounding home audio using the iPod and it's dock is the amplifier connected to it should have the volume fully turn maximum and then let the Apple dock with the remote control the volume. The sound quality with this setup makes sound richer and more transparent.

For the best sounding DAC in 2020 is still the Chord Mojo and Hugo. They drive the headphones well and can be connecting to home audio system. The sound quality is really good.


The another interesting DAC is the US$100 DAC Massdrop Grace Design. It impress me a lot on how good is the sound from this cheap DAC.


In this year I also did a lot of DIY things. I still believe for the audio grade components can improve the sound quality.

In my home audio I keep using the Gainclone amplifier LM3886 based IC. The speakers is the 2 way bookshelf speaker using SB acoustic driver that I've made few years ago. I don't look back to Class A amplifier anymore because it is hot and larger than Class AB amplifier. I am now more prefer to more reliable and convenient amplifier with good sound.


So what I will doing on next year?

Hopefully next year would be a better year and we can return in normal condition again. Fingers crossed all will be better.

Planning for next year, my post maybe will be a lot of DIY digital to analog converter (DAC). Because this DAC impact on how the whole audio system sounds like.

Lets facing the 2021. Cheers.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment