June 8, 2020

Audio Technica ATH-R70x Review & Compares To Sennheiser HD600

I had reviewed the Beyerdynamic DT880 here and sadly the sound quality is not meet my expectation.

It is a good headphones but not good enough if I compare to Sennheiser HD600. And if you ask me if I am a fan of the Sennheiser HD600, yes it is. Not the brand but is the sound quality that makes me loved it. Still, I always open up my mind to have another headphones that could sound better.

In this post, I will talking about the Audio Technica ATH-R70x. This is one of bellow the radar for headphones and I guess it is worth to try. For sure I am not the first person to review this ATH-R70x and that means a benefit for me to screening what the suitable headphones to challenge the HD600 superior sound.

So let's continue.

The unit I got here is in the great second hand condition.

The price is little bit higher than the Beyerdynamic DT880 but still affordable compares to the Sennheiser HD600.

For the package is just like others Audio Technica product, the black box covered with white sleeve paper. Quite standard but still nice in my opinion.


Once I open the box, the product presentation successfully got my attention.

It is really looks like a professional equipment. The headphones sit on the foam that you easily find on the studio recording room.


This headphones is open back type headphones and you will find this common for professional use. It is same as Sennheiser HD600 and Beyerdynamic DT880.

The color is fully matte black and the first you notice is the head band is unusual. I will talk about it latter on.


The diameter of the driver is big. The headphones is fully round and the outer dimension is large enough to cover my ear perfectly.


As you can see the ATH-R70x side by side with the HD600 is have almost the same size. The Sennheiser HD600 is bigger because the dimension is oval compares to the fully rounded ATH-R70x.


Back to the headband, the ATH-R70x headband is unusual. The pad on the each side of the headphones is the only things attach to your head. This is unlike the common headphones which the headband actually sit and weighting your head.

Once you wear this headphone, it is super comfy. But one note should be taken that this headband cannot be adjust. The side pad is self adjustable once you put on your head. It is flexible and I don't have any complain when wear it on my big size head.


The cables included on the package is a standard Audio Technica cables. It is 3 meter long with 2.5 mm screw lock system to connect to the each drivers headphones.


The other end is standard 3.5 mm stereo jack, it is also included 3.5 to 6.3 mm stereo jack adapter.


Going through the sound quality is something I really want to hear.

For me, this ATH-R70x is simply sound amazing. I really enjoy the overall sound quality in the first hour I listen to it. The high frequency is extended but not edgy. The vocal is strong in presentation with huge sound stage and the bass is deep enough, loud and clear.

This ATH-R70x is 470 ohm impedance with sensitivity about 98 dB, seems this headphone would be the hard to drive right?

Fortunately it is not.

I using the Dragonfly Black or LG Hifi Plus DAC direct connect to this ATH-R70x and I don't hear any degradation to the sound because of the lack power handling. Unlike Sennheiser HD600, the ATH-R70x perform very well on this setup.


When I want to hear the difference between ATH-R70x and HD600, then the best way is using Chord Hugo connecting to SMSL SP200 THX amplifier. This setup will reveal the superior sound for both headphones.

The sound from HD600 especially on the vocal is still more advance. It is airy and warm. It is like the singer emotion is deliver perfectly with the HD600. In comparison, the overall sound signature of the ATH-R70x is deliver as good as HD600. But in the vocal side, the ATH-R70x seems a little bit flat. Slightly flat and thin by small margin.

This difference is hardly to spot without A - B comparison and if I don't have HD600 yet, maybe this ATH-R70x will be my top choice headphones.


So, will I said this Audio Technica ATH-R70x is a winner over Sennheiser HD600? Perhaps yes for the best value for money. It is also all around headphones that drive well with only using any portable DAC output without additional amplifier.

This could be a great companion for traveling and listening sound quality from a headphones without hassle to bring additional amplifier. But still, if  you chasing for the superior sound quality, the HD600 is the only choice.
 
Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for your review.

    Can we say the R70X's midrange(especially vocal) as forward as HD600? I enjoy listening to vocal very much.


    Thank you very much for your answer:)

    ReplyDelete