June 4, 2020

Beyerdynamic DT 880 Review & Compares To Sennheiser HD600

This German made headphones is really need to pick up for my review. Not because it is very popular among the headphones lovers for some quite of time, but it is almost at the same price in brand new as the Sennheiser HD600 I've reviewed here. On my table, this Beyerdynamic DT 880, not the pro version, is the 250 ohm impedance version. It is in used condition but overall still in a good shape. This will be compares to the Sennheiser HD600.
The headphones itself is quite heavy, but very solid. The headphones is mostly built by plastic material except the head band is metal covered with good quality leather and the holder are made from aluminium. The headphones pads are also made from fabric, so it is not an issue for the comfortable when wear it. This headphones is open back type, very common for studio headphones same as the Sennheiser HD600.

Although this DT880 is heavier than the Sennheiser HD600, but I don't have any issue when wearing it for a long time listening session. But the only complain is the band doesn't tighten up on my head. Both headphones drivers feels loose attach to my ears. This is just a minor issue after all.

The cables hanging around from the head band to the drivers is not my favorite. It is not tidy, yet upgrading to better quality cable will need extra work on it.


Sound quality at the first time you hear the music from DT880 is sterile, quite flat in my opinion with huge and detail sound-stage. The vocal and mid range are also very detailed and have their unique extended sound. But that no means this headphones creates their own noise. It is quiet background and deep in the sound-stages as well. If you compares the vocal to the HD600, the very intimate and the warm vocal that become the sound signature of the HD600 for sure you will not get it from this DT880. This makes DT880 vocal sounds thin compares to HD600.

Speaking the detail sound, not only at the vocal frequency range, the others music instruments presentation from DT880 is also very good in detail but still overall flat and less engagement. This, in my opinion is because lack of mid-bass presentation from DT880. The bass can go very low, but on the mid-bass, it is very lack of loudness.

High frequency is extended and create good sound ambiance. But there an edgy on it. Too much edgy. For simple music arrangement, this will not become an issue, but for more complex music playing, it could makes me quite dizzy with hissing and striking highs.

I forget to mention the gears that I am using while listening to this Beyerdynamic DT880 are my smartphones, it is Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite with USB Audio Player Pro application on it. The music is vary from 16 bit CD rip up to DSD music files. The amplifier I using mostly is my DIY desktop CMOY amplifier with NE5532 op-amp and 30 volt regulated power supply. This CMOY sound very good and creates much loudness on lower frequency. If I switch to SMSL SP200 THX certified headphones amplifier, this DT880 sound even worse. It is because SP200 sound more detail, more forward presentation in mid-range and high frequency compares to CMOY and that makes this DT880 even more striking on the highs.

So, I guess this DT880 is not for me. At least not for my taste on it music presentation. It is sound flat and detail, no issue for the wide sound-stages, ambiance and deep the music presenting with this headphones. But for me, it is lack what I prefer most on Sennheiser HD600 is the warm and music engagement to the listener.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment