November 27, 2019

US$10 Earphones Challenge - Knowledge Zenith KZ ATE VS. Sony MH1

Finding any US$10 earphone is very easy. But finding the good one is another problem. Knowledge Zenith, the new comers product from Shenzhen has gain popularity on it's first earphones model. The KZ ATE has good review and the price is par with the Sony MH1. So I guess put the KZ ATE model to against the Sony MH1 will be very interesting.


I just bought this KZ ATE few days before and I am quite happy the packaging is surprisingly good. Buying KZ also give the benefit by warranty covered to their earphones product, so no worries at all to buy this KZ ATE rather the bulk product like Sony MH1. This might be the plus point to KZ ATE.

For the built quality, I can say for this price point, built quality for KZ ATE is quite okay. The housing are noticeably cheap plastic material along with the rubbery cable.

Although the cheap plastic using in this KZ ATE, another things I appreciate is the attention to detail such as coloring the earphones channel at the cable ends by using Red for right and Blue for left channel.

The second things I cannot complaining is the 3.5 mm jack quality. Not because the Sony MH1 has aesthetic aluminium ring that make it luxury, but the connector quality and the plastic ring between the 3.5 mm connector for KZ ATE feels cheap. So overall impression regarding the build quality for the Sony MH1 still impressive rather the KZ ATE.

The Sony MH1 is typical old-school earphones that I always complaining not comfortable to wear. Unlike the KZ ATE, it is an in-ear earphone monitor that cables rounding the ear and they are very comfortable on my ears. KZ ATE is light weight and doesn't feel like you wearing the earphone. The ear-tips on the package is also including the memory foam ear-tips, which is a plus point for KZ ATE for sure. The noise isolation between both of the earphones are also very good to block external noise. So for the comfort when using those earphones, I put the KZ ATE above over the Sony MH1.

At the end, sound is matters to me. In this test, I using iPod Touch 2nd generation with Apple lossless music files convert directly from CD. I will also using the Cmoy headphone amplifier that I will compare those earphones by using it or not using it.

I do the first test KZ ATE right out the box is by connect directly to iPod audio jack. KZ ATE sound is piercing treble that make me headache. The bass to mid-range frequency band doesn't have weight. It is just like cheap earphone! Oh well, it is cheap anyway:) I am quite regret to buy it even for US$10. But I calm my self, maybe my expectation is to high. So I let the KZ ATE play music for awhile to let the drivers burning in first.

On hands I have the Comply TX400 memory foam with filter that I bought before here. When I using it to the MH1, This TX400 attenuate the high frequency a lot and the result makes sound dull and lifeless. So I don't use TX400 in MH1 anymore. Different story I guess for piercing treble like KZ ATE, it will reduce the peaks for sure and I guess it is work very well.

So, the second test after several hours burning in KZ ATE and using TX400 give the better result. Way better in my opinion. The bass has more weight and solid but not as much as Sony MH1. Still the KZ ATE bass is good and quite balance even on sub bass frequency, I can say the KZ ATE brings bass deep and punchy but not as loud as the MH1 bass response.


The mid-range for KZ ATE is lighter compare to the MH1. Vocalist sound on MH1 give more dimension and body rather in KZ ATE. The mid-range is a king on MH1 and bright on KZ ATE. This also brings to the higher frequency in KZ ATE more pronounce and detail compares to the MH1. With Comply TX400, the treble on KZ ATE is not piercing as without it. KZ ATE with Comply TX400 ear-tips make high frequency more forgiving to ears. KZ ATE has wider sound stage in overall music presentation while sometimes I hears the frequency peaks on mid to high. The MH1 in contrast has narrow sound-stage but blacker background music. The treble is soft but balance with mid-range unlike KZ ATE is kinda hectic.

So, the next test is using Cmoy headphone amp. The configuration is from iPod line output using Fiio 30 pin LOD adapter to Cmoy amp. My personal experience with this Cmoy amp give improvement on overall music presentation. More pronounce, more detail and everything in music reveal without sacrifice any quality. Same with the MH1. Using Cmoy make the mid-range more intimacy, more breath and detail in every vocalist emotion. The bass on MH1 surprisingly not as loud as before but the bass and the sub bass clearly separate even more. I notice the music instrument separation is way better on Cmoy amp.

In KZ ATE, using Cmoy amp also give a lot benefit. I guess KZ ATE like high power to drive it. Almost all music spectrum are improve a lot. Bass more pronounce and deep. Mid range more forward but not just like in your face sounding. The treble are more detail, more extend even more. Sometimes the peaks on mid to high frequency are still there, especially on female voice. The 'sssshh' after voice end still present and this is not in my taste, piercing and not comfortable but it is better compares without using Cmoy amp. KZ ATE using Cmoy amp produce sound signature far better pronounced.

So, going to the result, is the KZ ATE is worth to buy for this US$10 earphone challenge? My answer is YES. It is comfortable, it has good warranty support from maker and it is sound considerably good enough.

The KZ ATE sound presentation is overall bright and dynamic. More investment to using Comply TX400 memory foam with the filter on ear tip is a first option you want to put in this KZ ATE for sure. In contrast, the music presentation from MH1 are warm without sacrifice the detail. Mid-range on MH1 is still the king and KZ ATE is cannot par with it. The high frequency presentation on MH1 is more quiet and darker but sound-stage seems narrow. Moreover, the KZ ATE is not an upgrade over MH1. It is different species between both of them. MH1 sound tuning is more likely for vocal lover but for KZ ATE, this earphones brings music more dynamic and aggressive.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment