November 4, 2019

STAX SRM-252S Blackgate Capacitor

If you following the components upgrade on the STAX SRM-252S previously here & here, you probably know that the capacitor near the transformer labeled C36 is has critical point to effect the sound quality. That is why I leave it with the standard OEM Sanyo capacitor after I change it to higher grade but the sound comes worse. Then on hand I got this Rubycon Blackgate capacitor. It is a legendary capacitor that still glorify by many audiophile until today. Not harm for me to test this new capacitor once again in the STAX SRM-252S headphones amplifier and what is the result after this upgrade is so curious.


I measure this Blackgate capacitor using digital LCR meter and this is the result.

Previously I using the Elna Cerafine which the look very similar to this Blackgate capacitor but the result in sound improvement not so good.

Surprisingly the measurement result of Cerafine is actually better than Blackgate in term of ESR and V-Loss.

Open up the STAX headphones amplifier, this is the green Sanyo capacitor that I will replace with this Blackgate capacitor. Marking on the board is C36 and location near the transformer.



This replacement only takes few minutes and the new capacitor is in.

Honestly this is my first experience with Blackgate capacitor. I do all out in this section after several times desperate with the bad result from changing to other well known capacitors brands. I guess the Blackgate is the best capacitor right now and I just want to put it in.

Rumors said that every Blackgate capacitor sound worse before breaking in. It will also need long time to breaking in. I guess it is about more than 300 hours. But in my case, this replacement to Blackgate give noticeable improvement on the mid range right after I change it. It is not subjective but it is the new improvement on how the vocal sound deliver more detail. This improvement give better vocal presence just like right in front of you. I still hoping the longer it work, the more improvement I got from this Blackgate capacitor after it is breaking in.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, is it easy to find that capacitor in Jakarta?
    If you're willing to share, how much is their price approximately?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stock still plenty and I got reasonable price for this blackgate Rp.120.000,-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Orronoco.

    What is the function of this C36 elco and why the replacement cap should have larger capacitance?

    On the other note, you might want to checkout on Audio Note Kaisei electrolytic capacitors since they are the replacement for Rubycon Blackgate.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, the C36 is the DC filter capacitor before the step up transformer.
      I end up with the Black gate because it has good effect the sound quality compare when using the other brand.
      The value is not so critical, better larger than the original value to get higher ripple rejection.

      Delete
  4. have you ever compare blackgate vs silmic ii ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on the circuitry.
      in my experience, Silmic is better when use on the signal decoupling and Blackgate on the power supply

      Delete