October 2, 2019

Simple Component Upgrade STAX SRM-252S Headphones Amplifier - Part 2

The first mod cannot be said successful. The sound quality weirdly become dull. I can assume that the Elna Silmic capacitor not yet burn-in, but I cannot wait any longer. I should find out what does really matters in the previous components changes.


Long story short, I find that the C36, which is the green Sanyo caps rated 33 uF is very critical in this section. Once I put it back, the sound are return to normal. To understand this, I try to draw the schematic of it.

The C36 is very near the small transformer, which is a step up voltage transformer. Different with the C31 before the power ON switch is actually a capacitor for voltage stabilizer. That is why I return back the C36 with the green OEM Sanyo capacitor and also add a Wima capacitor across the capacitor in C36 and C31 for better ripple rejection.

Both red Wima value is 0,47uF.


The C31 is not very critical, but the value is too small. That is why I change it to Nichicon Muse 220uF.

I am quite happy right now, the sound back to normal now. Although I cannot say by adding the new capacitor improve the sound quality, but at least they are electrically more quieter now.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

2 comments:

  1. How does the modified SRS252S STAX energizer sound quality compared with more expensive drivers after the mods

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stax has it own sound signature, even without any modification. It is open and bright but still maintain the warm in the vocal. The cons is you cannot experimenting the sound changes using other amp, except from the Stax itself. I can say I love the sound of Sennheiser HD600. Beyerdynamic T1 like I’ve reviewed last week is almost the same sound like Stax, but more or less they are different in presentation.

      Delete