Skip to main content

Simple Component Upgrade STAX SRM-252S Headphones Amplifier - Part 2

The first mod cannot be said successful. The sound quality weirdly become dull. I can assume that the Elna Silmic capacitor not yet burn-in, but I cannot wait any longer. I should find out what does really matters in the previous components changes.


Long story short, I find that the C36, which is the green Sanyo caps rated 33 uF is very critical in this section. Once I put it back, the sound are return to normal. To understand this, I try to draw the schematic of it.

The C36 is very near the small transformer, which is a step up voltage transformer. Different with the C31 before the power ON switch is actually a capacitor for voltage stabilizer. That is why I return back the C36 with the green OEM Sanyo capacitor and also add a Wima capacitor across the capacitor in C36 and C31 for better ripple rejection.

Both red Wima value is 0,47uF.


The C31 is not very critical, but the value is too small. That is why I change it to Nichicon Muse 220uF.

I am quite happy right now, the sound back to normal now. Although I cannot say by adding the new capacitor improve the sound quality, but at least they are electrically more quieter now.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

Comments

  1. How does the modified SRS252S STAX energizer sound quality compared with more expensive drivers after the mods

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stax has it own sound signature, even without any modification. It is open and bright but still maintain the warm in the vocal. The cons is you cannot experimenting the sound changes using other amp, except from the Stax itself. I can say I love the sound of Sennheiser HD600. Beyerdynamic T1 like I’ve reviewed last week is almost the same sound like Stax, but more or less they are different in presentation.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

OPA1622 Vs. OPA627 High Performance Op-amps Comparison

This op-amps comparison topic is actually boring, but at the same time, many of us still curious about what others think about it. The reason is simply because of the op-amps variation are hundreds and they are depends by the implementation. The op-amps are considerably cheap and an interchangeable electronic components but they are not built for the same function. So in this discussion, I will focus on the modern Vs. vintage high performance op-amps in the simple non-inverting pre-amplifier gain stage.

Vintage Multibit R2R DAC Tier List

At the very beginning of this year, I committed to explore the best multi-bit R2R DAC. This is simply because I have plenty of the resources (from broken old unit CD player of course) and ability to build them up. If you think this kind a recycle from old un-used unit to become something useful, than I should stated myself giving contribute for greener world:) After all DAC that I built in this year, I think it is better for me to list them up again in one single page like this. Then I will rank them up in a simple tier list. The reason for this, so you all know what my opinion about of those vintage multibit R2R DAC especially in the sound quality.

Signal Path Capacitor Comparison - Elna Cerafine Vs. Silmic II

I you following the discussion online, there are many endless debate about sound quality improvement from one capacitors to another. Some of them did a comparison between certain branded capacitors, which in my opinion, the result are very subjective. To make this comparison more crowded, so in this post will I adding another capacitor comparison.  Previously I did a capacitor upgrade on the Pioneer KEH-P9750 head unit using Elna Silmic capacitor for the signal path only. I will take this opportunity to compare between the Elna Silmic II and the Elna Cerafine. Both capacitor are produced by the same company. I believe the result would be more objective.