October 16, 2019

The Reason Why I Choose The Sony NW-A55 Over the NW-ZX300

It is been a week since I bought this hi resolution digital audio player, Sony NW-A55 and I couldn't more happier with this decision. No doubt I rumbling few weeks back than to make a purchase decision compare to the higher spec, the NW-ZX300. This is the reason why I choose NW-A55 over the NW-ZX300.


I got a chance to test the Sony NW-ZX300 for short period of time and I comparing to the Sony NW-A55 directly. I am not took the picture of it but rather focusing for the difference between both of them.

The NW-ZX300 form factor is more taller but particularly still small by today standard and I don't have any argue about the size at all compare to NW-A55. The battery life which cannot tested in long period of time, should be around the same durability as the NW-A55 if based on the official specification. Also the display as I remember not so much different at all same with the touch sensitivity. The user interface for both DAP is same, few menus are absent in the NW-ZX300 and for NW-A55 has additional feature radio on it. The radio reception quality is awesome at outdoor but I guess I will not use it very often anyway.

The main difference between both of them is the headphones output ports. The NW-ZX300 has standard, 3.5 mm unbalanced headphones output port, plus 4.4 mm balanced headphones output port while the NW-A55 only has only single 3.5 mm headphones output port.

Comparing the sound with the same standard, unbalanced headphones output, NW-ZX300 give a subtle pleasant sound signature. More neat in all music spectrum and feel spacious. Then The NW-A55 is hardly comparable since the difference is quite small. Then comparing to the NW-A55 power output, it is clearly that the internal headphones power amplifier for NW-A55 are smaller, so it is harder to drive for non sensitive headphones to sing loud at desirable listening level.

The differences comes out of the water if I switch to the balanced headphones output with also the compatible headphones. The NW-ZX300 gives improvement in dynamic yet the clarity and the vocal imaging to more pronounce. But this cannot be directly comparable with the unbalanced output since the headphones in this test are also different in type and specification. The reason is simply there is no cables interchangeable on my hands right now. The option to switch from unbalanced to balances headphones configuration during this test is impossible. So in this test, I keep track at the comparable output in the unbalanced headphones output only.

Like I always do, I mostly listen my audio system at home audio, no exception for the DAP's. Means I directly connect it to the amplifier using WM line out dock connector here. Surprisingly while listening from my home audio system, the sound signature differences for both of them are the same experience I got when testing the unbalanced headphones result. The slight noticeable sound characteristic for NW-ZX300 is more natural and precise while the NW-A55 more punchy and dynamic. The mid-range is the king for NW-ZX300 but overall music presentation more rather flat compares to the NW-A55 more vivid and dynamic. Those difference will only can be hear if you pay attention to the music very closely and doing the A-B test quickly.

Another consideration is the price gap between NW-ZX300 and NW-A55 is more than double up. But you got what you paid for. The NW-ZX300 built quality is superior compares to the MW-A55. Yet back to my audio needs, I listen mostly at home audio system and nor my headphones right now has balanced connector, so I choose the NW-A55 in place rather paying more for less benefit I got from NW-ZX300.


By the way, as an Apple iPod guys, I used to saved my music files on Apple Lossless format. This Sony music programs force me to re-convert all my CD's collection to FLAC 960 kbps files. Well, not because the Apple Lossless doesn't support to the Sony, but the cover art cannot display on this Sony Music Center. Thus, this programs support the music ID tag widely compares to the iTunes. It is also including the cover art by Grace-note. Means, a lot of information did not retrieve from the iTunes can be upload here.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

2 comments: