April 28, 2018

Sony Xplod CDX CA900 The New Old Stock Head Unit

I am lucky to get this new old stock Sony Xplod CDX CA900. This cost me for US$30. It is released around early 2000 and this is one of high grade Sony car audio line up at that time. What I get here is a complete package just like when it is in brand new condition. So I think this worth to share.


The Sony car audio box at that era is full of red color. This is simply the Xplod logo on it that dominating the whole box.

To be honest, the Xplod name really not for me. This is like Sony want to tell about their car audio product is loud with explosive bass. This is far from the Sony I knew, the ES series which aim for high quality car audio system.



In this unit, Sony give several wireless remote control. One is the rotary commander controller that can be attach to any surface on the car interior and the other is traditional remote control. Besides that, this unit already include the wired steering remote controller compatible via mini jack at the back of this unit. So the newer car that include the steering remote can be connect here.

Especially for this wired steering remote control, since this unit only accept the Sony compatible wired remote control, so to make it work in my car steering controller, I should make modification on the steering circuit to suit into this head unit. You can check it here and here.



Open this unit is just like time travel to me. Opening all the package like in the past time. This is including the manual that still wrap in sealed plastic along with the accessories.



Once I open the plastic, the smell it will tell that this is completely a brand new unit.


Going detail to this unit, especially for the front panel, this unit has very few buttons on it. Previously I have another head unit that also doesn't put many buttons, but this unit is less than what I've ever knew. This is become a trend for signature head unit, mostly at the higher grade car audio head unit to put the minimalist design on the front panel like this.

The buttons in this unit only volume + and -, source selector including OFF if it is hold, and display. The open/close manual button is for ejecting CD or pull out the front panel.

The rest of the function buttons are located on the wireless remote control.


Looking to the back of this unit, there are lots of RCA connector. I am surprised the AUX input using in this unit is full size RCA connector rather than mini jack like many head unit does. It is located beside the Front and Rear audio output. The subwoofer output is using pig-tail RCA connector.


The warranty seal that still attach on the unit.


This is all about this brand new Sony CDX CA900. I will install this unit on my car shortly.

Although this is an outdated car head unit but I guess it will be a good looking one when I put inside my car.


Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

1 comment: