February 23, 2023

Modern Multibit DAC Vs. Vintage Multibit DAC Sound Quality

The story behind this comparison was started several months ago when I bought the Fiio X7 Mark-2 for my own. That purchased was initially to use the Fiio X7 as digital transport only. I will using the SPDIF output and connect it to my DAC.

Then, I become curious because the DAC inside the Fiio X7 is a modern delta sigma DAC and I aware that the Fiio X7 model is the highest grade of the Fiio digital player line up.

With the analog line out from the Fiio X7 directly connect to my amplifier, then I make a comparison with the same whole audio setup but only changing the DAC to the vintage multibit DAC I had.

It doesn't take so much time to conclude that the vintage multibit DAC sound better, more musical, textured and wonderful. While on the modern delta sigma DAC like in the Fiio X7 is not sound bad at all, but it is more likely a digital sound compare to the musical multibit DAC sound.

You can read again the post about that comparison here

My curiosity getting bigger since then, especially the sound for the modern multibit DAC.

So in this post I will share my experience when listening to the Schiit Bifrost 2 multibit DAC and compare it to the vintage multibit DAC.


When comparing the sound quality one to another, there is no way I can tell from only one or two songs played between the units. I require few hours of listening to one unit and sometimes it require another hours or days to back and forth between the DAC.

In my experience, the initial listening session usually gives a false opinion.

Especially when we listen at the audio show, which we only listen to a few songs in a completely new audio system. The result will more likely based on the first impression, such as wider soundstage, details and fuller sound. At the end, when the same setup play at home, it may not sound as expected.

Same like this comparison, I listen both units, especially the Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC for hours before changing to my own built DAC PCM63 P-K DAC here or PCM1704 USB DAC here.



Let's talk about the Schiit Bifrost 2 first.

It is still inside a box, delivered to my house.

This is surprisingly a small DAC that almost the same size like my DAC built with the compact size chassis.

The best thing is this Bifrost 2 DAC has more flexibility on the inputs and outputs option. This is very common for branded DAC unit to offer this option for many different type of user.


The Bifrost can accept USB input, optical and coaxial SPDIF input with auto sensing. The relays inside will clicks when one of the input is locked.

The analog output is balanced which is praised for many audiophile for lower noise and better sound, also it is provided the single-ended RCA output. Since all my amplifier only using the single-ended RCA output, so this connection is become my only option.


The front panel of this Bifrost only has one button. It is to the manual digital input selector.

There is a remote control included which is a nice feature from branded unit like this. The remote is made from solid aluminum, it is small enough and easy to handle. The remote function is to control the input selector as well for the oversampling or non-oversampling selector.

Later on, I found that the oversampling in this Bifrost 2 sound much better. At least for me. The sound more fuller, more musical, more wider and detail soundstage.

So in this comparison, I mostly using this oversampling setting.


I am not open up the Bifrost 2 cover to see the components inside since it is all describe in their official manufacture website. The detail specification also described in it which including the DAC IC that they are using in this Bifrost 2. Based on the manufacture website, it use 4 pieces DAC8812, a modern 16 bit multibit DAC that probably configure in balanced parallels operation.

Then, the very close comparison between modern multibit vs. vintage multibit DAC would be with the PCM63 and PCM1704 DAC that basically, inside of each DAC IC has 2 DAC that configure also in parallels.


This is my thought for the sound of the Schiit Bifrost 2.

I am using SPDIF output from the Fiio M5 portable digital player or the iBasso DX90 for a better quality digital output.

The amplifier using in this test is quite various.

I am using several amplifier in this test such as the Bottlehead Crack amplifier, DIY KT88 tube amplifier, fully modified Reisong EL34 tube amplifier and the Gainclone LM3875 amplifier.

The headphone I use are mostly the Koss KPH-30i headphone. It is light and sound great. If I using the speaker, then it is my DIY 2 way speaker using SB Acoustic driver.

The music are also various in genre, from pop, jazz, easy listening and rock.

I put my playlist when do the test like this such as:

1. Aaron Neville - Warm Your Heart,

2. Ingram Washington - What A Difference A Day Made,

3. Chantal Chamberland - Temptation,

4. Chantal Chamberland - The Other Woman,

5. Diana Krall - Girl In The Others Room,

6. Toto - Toto IV,

7. The Cranberries - Greatest Hits,

8. Metallica - Black Album,

9. Fourplay - The Best Of,

10. And many more.


I personally love the sound of this Bifrost 2 DAC. It shared the same characteristic to the good vintage multibit DAC that naturally sound rich and musical.

The sound, especially on the mid-range are effortless, textured and clear.

The mid-bass somehow feels more boost in this Bifrost 2 that makes the sound warmer and intimate on the voice.

The music timing is great with very dark background.

The Bifrost 2 also deliver nice details, especially on the treble, which is great. I can hear clearly the details and separation between musical instruments without any blurry or mixed sounding especially on the more complex music.

This modern multibit DAC is very enjoyable to listen.


Then I changed to my own built DAC using PCM63, but this one is the non-grade PCM63 DAC that I made before using the Kinergetic Research chassis. You can read the detail here.

Surprisingly the PCM63 shared almost the same sound signature with the Bifrost 2, except I can say that the Bifrost 2 background sound seems more darker & quiet, probably because of the lower noise from the Bifrost 2 digital domain.

Overall, the most noticeable difference is the Bifrost deliver more details and more pronounce on the treble compare to the PCM63 DAC.

But I think I like the sound of the PCM63 DAC that more layering than the Bifrost 2. Although this difference are very subtle, almost undistinguishable because they shared the same sound signature.


The next comparison is with my latest DAC built using the PCM63 K-grade.

The letter "K" is the highest grade for PCM63 DAC. This mark was made by hand selection from the Burr-Brown employee for the closest tolerance to the specification of the PCM63 after the manufacture process.

Back to this DAC comparison, as you can see the red color PCM63 K DAC are almost shared the same size as the Bifrost 2, expect the Bifrost 2 has more stylish shape and heavier chassis as well.

Once I compare to the sound quality between both DAC, this PCM63 K DAC is clearly have better sound quality than the previous non-grade PCM63 and also so much better than the Bifrost 2 DAC.

What better?

Clearer mid-range sound, more reveal detail but without fatigue, more pronounce bass, more wider sound stage and more layer and textured mid-range.

There are a lot of more than what I think from the difference of this comparison, which is quite phenomenal.


Continue to the next contender is the PCM1704 DAC using USB as the digital input. I made this DAC with different approach especially on the analog stages using fully passive components and the vacuum tubes output for the gain stage purpose.

The Bifrost 2 DAC also have the USB digital input using their advanced technology called Unison. How good is it compare to mine using XMOS U204, a ready made USB to I2s module on my DAC built?

And here are the result from long listening session between both DAC.

They both shared almost the same sound signature with the difference between them are here and there but quite subtle.

Surprisingly I don't think there are any audible different in the background noise between those two DAC. They are both have the same dark background which I think the digital domain between both DAC are in the same class.

The noticeable difference is only in the music details, which again Bifrost has more detail on the treble side while my PCM1704 DAC has better mid-range texture and warmer sound. This probably the present of the vacuum tube at the output stage of my DAC compare to all solid-state in the Bifrost 2 DAC.


The result from this comparison are vary. One DAC is better in certain part, the others are better on other part, but only the PCM63 K DAC significantly better than the Bifrost 2 DAC.

To end this comparison, I can say this Schiit Bifrost DAC 2 is a great bargain.

It is sound good, affordable price and made in America.

In contrast, by building a DAC using the vintage multibit DAC IC is not an easy to do. Like myself, from procuring the parts and then start to design and built a DAC will takes so much time and resources. I believe the majority of audiophile are not willing to go into this route anyway.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

15 comments:

  1. Hello
    May I have your e-mail address please

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is excellent information as it sets the high mark for multibit technology. Your PCM63P-K is very similar to a Pass D1, so we know that well-engineered PCM63P-K and PCM63P-Y designs are still cutting edge. I'd like to see them also compared to Denafrips Ares II. Also thank you because I'm thinking about building a PCM63 or AD1865 based DAC vs just buying the current Bifrost 2/64. From your analysis it would be money well spent and then I could still build a high-end multibit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,
      Yes, my implementation for this PCM63 is almost the same as Pass D1 did except for the analog stages.
      For me, the PCM63 is one of the best vintage multibit DAC till today.
      If you are asking me to compare to others modern multibit DAC, I would say yes if possible. I like to comparing my DAC built with others, like you said, to the Denafrips Ares II. This is because I curious on how well the sound performance for this vintage multibit DAC against the latest multibit DAC.

      Cheers.

      Delete
    2. I noticed that the Pass D1 uses 4 PCM63s. Are they running them in parallel? Because the PCM63 is already dual differential - running one internal DAC for postive values and one for negative. I'm not sure what parallel would give you other than a slightly higher SNR. I've seen weird experiments where people would run 10 or 20 of them in parallel which is just insane. BTW: Do you think it would be worth the time to implement using the WM8805 in I2C mode along with a DF1706 receiving I2C. This should allow you to also run a USB to I2C converter in giving you a very powerful receiver interface as well as filtering in 20 bit mode and outputting 20 bit to the DACS.

      Delete
    3. Also I can see why your analog stage is different. The original schematics in the datasheet use a GIC reconstruction filter in addition to the I/V circuit. It would seem that a simple single pole passive or active filter would be more than sufficient when you are doing 8x oversampling and it would avoid distortion of the signal as most GIC filters are 2nd, 3rd or 4th order. A first order filter should attenuate any high-frequency images by at least 18db. (I'm not sure what the default amplitude of the images are.)

      Delete
    4. Wow, too many question to answer, but I will try.
      First, the Pass D1 using 4x PCM63 for balanced, but for single ended only 2 DAC use. If you're using the balanced output, you will get the benefit from better SNR because of the total 4 DAC use.
      What happen if I am using only a single ended output? So I did parallel the DAC IC to get the same benefit.

      The receiver IC such as WM8805 is too small for me to solder it correctly to the converter board. Remember I use the universal PCB in my DAC built. So I prefer using CS8412, which in my opinion have great flexibility.

      The digital filter such as DF1704 not only too small for me to solder into the board (again), it also hard to find right now. I am using SM5813APT which has great flexibility output from 16, 18, and 20 bit. For PCM1704 DAC built, I am using 74ACT164 shift register non-OS.

      The issue about analog section is will be way too long to discuss, but from my experienced, not all DAC IC has problem in the digital aliasing, even when they are use in the non-OS. The AD1865 is one of them. I did parallel it in non-OS but for the analog stages is only a passive IV and a C per channel, it sound great and very analog.

      The GIC filter have the most significant impact when I pair with non-OS TDA1541. It makes the TDA1541 sound very open and detail.

      Hope I do answer all your question.

      Cheers.

      Delete
    5. Thanks, Orronoco. Great information. I think I'll get a few SSOP 28 to DIP 28 adapter boards for the WM8805 and DF1706. I was looking at the SM5813, but they are in short supply and only saw a few around $63. The DF1706 is currently around $20 in the US and good supply exists.

      I didn't see the 4x PCM63p only being used by the Pass D1 in balanced mode, but I'll re-read the schematics. I wonder whether it would be useful to buy PCM63p-Y or wait until I have it working with the K series.

      Delete
    6. I haven't try PCM63P-Y.
      For the K and non-grade have so much different in the sound quality.

      Delete
    7. Fantastic post! I have read multiple threads about the PCM63P-Y and I believe/suspect that the Y stands for Yamaha, since they were used in some of their pro audio gear. I have no idea how they stack up against the other pcm63 chips.

      Delete
  3. Can you make a PCM63 DAC but without the digital filter like on the DIY site (https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/dac-ad1862-almost-tht-i2s-input-nos-r-2r.354078/page-209#post-7049224) and compare with yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it should be working very well by using the shift register

      Delete
  4. It works great, but I'm interested in the effect of the filter on the sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using filter/oversampling or non oversampling will depend on what the listener prefered. Filter IC is not all great, I only stick to SM5813APT maximum 20 bit, CXD1144 maximum 18 bit, or DF1704 or PMD100 up to 24 bit.

      Theoritically for the non oversampling will required sharper analog LPF, but in my experiments, it doesn't really matters. It is all depends to what DAC IC is use.

      The non-oversampling DAC mostly more emphasis on the midrange. It feels more warmer sound presentation.

      While for the oversampling DAC mostly sound more neutral, more detail and larger soundstage. Sometimes it sound artificial.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Orronoco.

      Delete