October 20, 2021

DIY PCM63 DAC Using The Kinergetics Research KCD-55 Ultra Chassis

If you have a chance to get the ancient Ultra Analog DAC module, you probably one of the luckiest audiophile. This is because the module it self is not for retail sale and the complete DAC unit using this Ultra Analog DAC module is also rare. The complete Ultra Analog DAC module can be found like in this Kinergetics Research KCD-55 Ultra. Few others like Sonic Frontier SFD-2 DAC also using this module as well but they are all hi-end DAC and high price.

Others than that, the Ultra Analog DAC module is said to be the weakest part. It is easily broken and cannot be repair just like a solid state IC. The closest sound quality is the PCM63.

Despite in this condition, I still like the appearance of this Kinergetics Research DAC chassis. I will using this casing to build a new DAC. This new DAC quality should be marvelous, at least the sound from the DAC in this box should be great, just like the Kinergetic Research DAC itself.

So here I am, start to build a DAC using the PCM63, known as the best vintage multi bit DAC IC.


I will using sets of transformers from this chassis unit. I find that the voltage output from those transformers are suitable for this DAC project.

The toroidal transformer have dual 22 volt output which suitable for the analog section.

One of the IE transformer output have dual 9 volt output, this will be feed to the DAC.

The other IE transformer have single 9 volt output and this will be suitable to the SPDIF receiver.


Then, I will using one large universal board and the DAC components will be connecting on it by  point-to-point connection.


This is 12 cm by 20 cm PCB. My plan is put all DAC components along with the voltage regulators on the same board.

The schematic for this PCM63 DAC is exactly the same as my previous DAC built using AD1862. You can check the schematic in this post.

I start this build by put all IC sockets and filtering voltage capacitors first, then connecting the components for digital receiver, digital filter and DAC IC.



I am using Elna Silmic ARS capacitor. This is the Japanese version that better version instead of the Thailand made, the brown doff Elna Silmic II.


The next steps is populating the components for the analog section. As usual I am using op-amp this LPF section with the schematic same as my previous DAC built.

Then I also start to populating the voltage regulators section using few LM317 and LM337.

The most appealing to look at is the row of the main filter capacitors using Nichicon VZ.




You might wonder what underneath this PCB, and here it is.

This is a very complicated connection.


The IC required for this DAC build are CS8414, SM5813, and 2 piece of PCM63. Also my favorite op-amp not shown in this photos is the Signetics NE5532.


My suggestion when finding the PCM63 DAC IC is grab the K grade if possible. The PCM63P-K is better in THD specification based on the datasheet, resulting more holographic sound quality. In this project, I just start to use the non "K" PCM63 version first, then evaluate the difference when change to the K grade.


I got this PCM63 dismantled from old CD player. This is what I always prefer to procure the vintage DAC IC's like this and the authenticity of the IC is 100% original.


This sticky dual layer PCB is really hard to work on. Using common de-soldering pump cannot remove those IC's. That is why I should invest the new hot air solder station for this removal works without risking any damage to the IC itself.

It only takes few minute to remove those IC's safely.



Back to the Kinergetic Research chassis with the new PCM63 DAC inside, this is what it is looks like when finished.


The rest of the job here is only connecting all the cables, testing and adjusting the voltage on each IC's pins, then put on the IC's into the sockets.









As you can see on the photo above, the only voltage regulator that need a heatsink to keep it cool is the negative regulator LM337 supply for PCM63. The others voltage regulators only have a slightly warm during long period of operation.

One more things, I suddenly remember that I have seen on some vintage CD player, the DAC IC's are covered with thin copper plates. I don't know about the real impact to the sound quality, but since I have this copper plate, then I just install it anyway.




This PCM63 DAC inside the Kinergetics Research KCD-55 Ultra casing is now finished.

My first impression with the sound quality is really terrific. The sound quality from PCM63 is at another level compares to the AD1862. This PCM63 sound presentation more reveal, more detail, more depth on sound-stage. It is a lot of more that I should take more time to enjoying and review the sound from it.

One words for this PCM63 build is the end game for searching the best vintage multi bit DAC!


Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

4 comments:

  1. I found 2 PCM 63p in Cello Dac .to replace the AD 1865 R that I'm using ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PCM63 and AD1865 has different bit input format, they are not compatible each other unless the oversampling IC has the option to changed from 20 bit to 18 bit output.

      Delete