Skip to main content

Gainclone Integrated Amplifier With AD1865 DAC

This is my activity updates before the weekend comes.

Previously I talked so much about this Gainclone amplifier which is actually an integrated amplifier using the PCM56 DAC in one chassis. Then, I will replace the DAC module with this new AD1865 DAC module. This AD1865N simply a far better sounding DAC compare to PCM56P-K. So let's continue this project.


A little bit about my home audio system, I like simple one box system like this amplifier. This is Gainclone amplifier which not only sound good, it is also simple to build. From the first time I built this amplifier, I had planned to put something else inside this amplifier case. Either it is a pre-amplifier, a vacuum tube buffer, or a DAC. At the end, I choose to put the DAC.

This amplifier is semi-modular design, means I can change the DAC module with ease by only re-solder few wires in the DAC module.


The cable that I use to connecting between the internal SPDIF cable from DAC module to the RCA plug is a solid coaxial silver cable intended for very high frequency data transfer. This cable replacing the previous one using non-digital cable.


Replacing the previous DAC with the new one is quite simple and can be done in few minutes, because all cables connection are all the same.



After all wires are soldered in placed, I check the voltage and the connection once again before put all the IC's to this DAC module.



This might be the last time I see this internal DAC module along with the amplifier circuit. So I think I need to take few photos of it before I close the lid.








Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPA1622 Vs. OPA627 High Performance Op-amps Comparison

This op-amps comparison topic is actually boring, but at the same time, many of us still curious about what others think about it. The reason is simply because of the op-amps variation are hundreds and they are depends by the implementation. The op-amps are considerably cheap and an interchangeable electronic components but they are not built for the same function. So in this discussion, I will focus on the modern Vs. vintage high performance op-amps in the simple non-inverting pre-amplifier gain stage.

Vintage Multibit R2R DAC Tier List

At the very beginning of this year, I committed to explore the best multi-bit R2R DAC. This is simply because I have plenty of the resources (from broken old unit CD player of course) and ability to build them up. If you think this kind a recycle from old un-used unit to become something useful, than I should stated myself giving contribute for greener world:) After all DAC that I built in this year, I think it is better for me to list them up again in one single page like this. Then I will rank them up in a simple tier list. The reason for this, so you all know what my opinion about of those vintage multibit R2R DAC especially in the sound quality.

Signal Path Capacitor Comparison - Elna Cerafine Vs. Silmic II

I you following the discussion online, there are many endless debate about sound quality improvement from one capacitors to another. Some of them did a comparison between certain branded capacitors, which in my opinion, the result are very subjective. To make this comparison more crowded, so in this post will I adding another capacitor comparison.  Previously I did a capacitor upgrade on the Pioneer KEH-P9750 head unit using Elna Silmic capacitor for the signal path only. I will take this opportunity to compare between the Elna Silmic II and the Elna Cerafine. Both capacitor are produced by the same company. I believe the result would be more objective.