October 8, 2021

Gainclone Integrated Amplifier With AD1865 DAC

This is my activity updates before the weekend comes.

Previously I talked so much about this Gainclone amplifier which is actually an integrated amplifier using the PCM56 DAC in one chassis. Then, I will replace the DAC module with this new AD1865 DAC module. This AD1865N simply a far better sounding DAC compare to PCM56P-K. So let's continue this project.


A little bit about my home audio system, I like simple one box system like this amplifier. This is Gainclone amplifier which not only sound good, it is also simple to build. From the first time I built this amplifier, I had planned to put something else inside this amplifier case. Either it is a pre-amplifier, a vacuum tube buffer, or a DAC. At the end, I choose to put the DAC.

This amplifier is semi-modular design, means I can change the DAC module with ease by only re-solder few wires in the DAC module.


The cable that I use to connecting between the internal SPDIF cable from DAC module to the RCA plug is a solid coaxial silver cable intended for very high frequency data transfer. This cable replacing the previous one using non-digital cable.


Replacing the previous DAC with the new one is quite simple and can be done in few minutes, because all cables connection are all the same.



After all wires are soldered in placed, I check the voltage and the connection once again before put all the IC's to this DAC module.



This might be the last time I see this internal DAC module along with the amplifier circuit. So I think I need to take few photos of it before I close the lid.








Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment