Skip to main content

The "Secret" DAC Built

With all DAC's I built so far, I think I will full stop to making another one.

I said the same statement a year ago but somehow I always break it again.

The reason is simply building a DAC with my method is so much fun. I got full of flexibility to realized my idea especially when designing the PCB with the components in it, then building it on the fry. Of course the calculation and the layout preparation is should done before the built.

The result of all my DAC built are simply great.

So like in this post, the recent DAC that I was built is will be my last DAC, hopefully:)

I call it a "secret DAC"

Just for fun.


The name "secret" DAC is because the main components is hiding inside the cooper shield.

I tried to makes the layout as clean and as neat as possible.

Frankly speaking, it is nothing new inside. I just put all of my experience and knowledge when building the DAC in the past, then with the same method, I do the same to all components in this new DAC built.

The result from this built is not only nice to look at, but also excited to hear the sound quality from it.






When I said nothing new in this DAC built is because inside the cooper shield are lying several vintage multibit DAC IC configure in parallels. Then I also using the simple but uncommon configuration at the LPF to achieve the best sound possible from vintage multibit DAC.

You probably know that none of my DAC's are built the same.

Then in this built, what's new?

On the analog stage is using the latest op-amp technology for the high current output driving as low as 16 ohm load. This op-amp also not sound dry just like the other modern op-amp, especially when they are using specifically for headphone amplifier. The reason because the 2nd harmonic distortion present on this new type op-amp, so the sound just like a vacuum tube amplifier.

Other than that, with the same output from this op-amp, this DAC is can be connect not only to the headphone but also can be act just like a pre-amplifier connect to the speaker amplifier.



Someday I will reveal this DAC inside. But at this moment, this DAC will keep "secret" and probably it will go for the audition to my friends for quite some time.

I knew they are quite objective to review a unit like this.

They are experienced audiophile using many kind of audio gears, both branded and DIY. Especially when the review unit are built by myself, they will not give any mercy when it sound bad. But they will also reluctant to return the review unit when they like it.

So, start from now, I guess I will stop making any new DAC.

Perhaps:)

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPA1622 Vs. OPA627 High Performance Op-amps Comparison

This op-amps comparison topic is actually boring, but at the same time, many of us still curious about what others think about it. The reason is simply because of the op-amps variation are hundreds and they are depends by the implementation. The op-amps are considerably cheap and an interchangeable electronic components but they are not built for the same function. So in this discussion, I will focus on the modern Vs. vintage high performance op-amps in the simple non-inverting pre-amplifier gain stage.

Vintage Multibit R2R DAC Tier List

At the very beginning of this year, I committed to explore the best multi-bit R2R DAC. This is simply because I have plenty of the resources (from broken old unit CD player of course) and ability to build them up. If you think this kind a recycle from old un-used unit to become something useful, than I should stated myself giving contribute for greener world:) After all DAC that I built in this year, I think it is better for me to list them up again in one single page like this. Then I will rank them up in a simple tier list. The reason for this, so you all know what my opinion about of those vintage multibit R2R DAC especially in the sound quality.

Signal Path Capacitor Comparison - Elna Cerafine Vs. Silmic II

I you following the discussion online, there are many endless debate about sound quality improvement from one capacitors to another. Some of them did a comparison between certain branded capacitors, which in my opinion, the result are very subjective. To make this comparison more crowded, so in this post will I adding another capacitor comparison.  Previously I did a capacitor upgrade on the Pioneer KEH-P9750 head unit using Elna Silmic capacitor for the signal path only. I will take this opportunity to compare between the Elna Silmic II and the Elna Cerafine. Both capacitor are produced by the same company. I believe the result would be more objective.