August 22, 2021

The “J” Grade PCM56 DAC Upgrade

It is been a while since I using PCM56 DAC here and here, or inside my integrated amplifier Gainclone LM3886 using the same DAC here. I know this PCM56 is not the best DAC IC I have ever built before, let's say the TDA1541A USB DAC here is outperform in many ways. But this PCM56P suit my listening pleasure and this is the reason I still keep it.

Using PCM56 DAC is like having a nostalgic sound for me. My first CD player that I bought with my own money is this second hand Victor XLV-90 here. This CD player sound quality is outstanding because it using the vintage R2R DAC PCM53. It has similar sound characteristic like this PCM56 DAC.

Back to this PCM56P DAC, right now I got the better specification is the PCM56P-J. This "J" grade have better error tolerance compares to the non grading PCM56. As per PCM56 datasheet, the "J" grade specification has better in the THD, from -82 dB to -88 dB. Quite significant in the number I guess, but how is the sound difference?


I am a lucky owner of this vintage DAC IC. I got 2 pairs of the original, Japan made PCM56P-J. I will replacing all my non grade PCM56 DAC with this one.

Previously, all my DAC built are using IC socket for easy future upgrade, such as replacing the DAC IC like this.

I will also replacing the non grade PCM56 with this "J" grade in my integrated amplifier. The process is a little bit complicated compares to above stand alone DAC because there are several components need to remove first.





So, with this all new IC installed in my audio system, how is the sound improvement?

The moment I listen from this "J" grade, it is definitely a noticeable improvement in the sound quality, but it is subtle. I can feel the upper frequency more detail and open. The sound stage more wider and the bass impact is now tighter. This improvement are across all frequency response. The more you hear to the music, the more you find this "J" grade is better in quieter and darker background. That makes the vocal more airy, more easy to listen from every emotion of the singer. But again, the difference are not night and day.

So I will stay with this "J" for a while. Actually there is another grading from this "J" grade, is the "K" grade. This is the highest grade of this PCM56 family.

For sure, the DAC sound quality is not only come from this grading matters. If the implementation is correct, using the PCM56 non grade is also not bad at all. This grading should not bothering you too much, as long as you got the original IC, they will sound great.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment