August 26, 2021

DAC Power Supply Improvement In My Gainclone Integrated Amplifier

One reason to use the integrated amplifier is the simplicity. You might like the multi box components audio system which each of them having their own specific job. It spectacular for eyes and of course to the sound quality as well. I've seen one huge system that have more than 9 box and it is only using a CD transport as a source. This kind of system does not always practical in the real world. Mostly in common house situation, like mine. I can built separate box for my audio equipment, but I prefer an integrated system. It is sleek and simple. It also nice to see and wallet friendly:)

So I continue my post here about adding DAC PCM56 module inside the Gainclone LM3886 integrated amplifier. It is sound great and this amplifier already become my main audio system for many years ago.

But there always room to improve it. So in this post I will adding a separate transformer to supply the power directly to the DAC module instead previously taken from the LM3886 power supply.


The main problem with an integrated system like this is the internal noise from the power supply affecting the audio components inside. This can be avoided by using separate box. Let's say we often find a DAC unit or a pre-amplifier having separate power supply unit. This method is really practical to sealed the pre-amplifier or DAC unit from the power supply interfere.

Same with this Gainclone integrated amplifier here, I sealed the DAC module with an aluminum chassis. This will protect the DAC components to not get interfere from larger power supply from the amplifier module.

At that time, this DAC module using the same power supply from the Gainclone amplifier. It has a flaw. The power supply for Gainclone amplifier is dual rail +/-35 volt or in total 70 volt then regulated in the DAC module to become dual rail +/-10 volt. This gap of voltage regulated creating the heat and power loss due to this conversion. I heard the downgrade of the sound quality from this method especially the dynamic of the sound become smaller. This is because the inefficiency from the regulator will effect directly to the amplifier and DAC.

To restore this flaw, I should add another transformer to the DAC module. I using 20 VA transformer that very sufficient to this task. I also adding two diode rectifier to convert from AC to dual DC supply.



If you see my post here, right now I often using this single supply AC to dual DC conversion. The reason for this is I have quite a lot of single output transformer and the application for this DAC need dual DC supply. So with this method, I can using all my transformers stock again for the audio project like this.

This conversion is very easy, only using 2 diodes and 2 capacitors filter. I am using Nichicon KA 1000uF capacitor. It is small in size that can fit inside the DAC chassis.




It is a tight fit inside the DAC module. Lots components inside and I like how compact it is.

I put the transformer side by side like the photos bellow. It is beside the main toroidal transformer.



Personally I really like how all components are nicely arrange inside this integrated amplifier. They are tight fit but not too much. By adding this transformer dedicated to DAC module, I could hear the sound improvement from this upgrade. Especially the speed and dynamic of the music restored. The sound right now is just like using separate chassis for amplifier and DAC.





Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment