February 4, 2021

Clarion HX-D1 PCM1704 Vs. Clarion DRX9255 PCM1702

Previously I had the Clarion DRX9255EXL which is sound amazing.

No doubt it is because the resistor ladder (R2R) multibit DAC using in this unit is dual PCM1702. This DAC shines my audio system really well.

Going further from the PCM1702 which is 20 bit sample rate, then if I want technically better, I will looking no other than PCM1704 which is 24 bit sample rate. This makes my journey to find best R2R DAC for cheap continues.

Luckily Clarion also released the car head unit with this PCM1704 named HX-D1. This unit is replacing they older model, the DRX9255. All features in this HX-D1 are all identical to the DRX9255 except it is 24 bit and HDCD ready. It also has it's own sibling to the McIntosh car audio model. This Clarion HX-D1 is share the same internal components as McIntosh MX5000.

So how the Clarion DRX9255 with PCM1702 compete with the Clarion HX-D1 with PCM1704?

I bought this HX-D1 in second hand condition about US$230, quite expensive for the vintage unit like this. The seller guarantee for the CD mechanism is in perfect condition and for this reason I cannot resist to grab it.

Once this unit delivered to me, the first things really catch my eyes is the copper chassis. It really beautiful to looking at. But think again this copper chassis will be design for something good to the audio quality, because lots hi-end audio also covering the components inside with this kind copper material. Moreover, this unit is for car audio and the copper chassis should be hidden inside the dashboard. No one will looking at it once installed. If it is not for audio quality benefit, then I think Clarion should not bother to apply this copper chassis instead.


The overall appearances of this unit I got here is not really perfect. I am sure it has been use for quite long time. The most important things is the internal components is legit and all components still original.



I notice the difference between this Clarion HX-D1 with the Clarion DRX-9255 is this Clarion HX-D1 has extra RCA cable for the analog AUX input. This is a good feature to connect the external source to this unit. But I don't know if this unit can be modify to accept the SPDIF digital input just like DRX9255EXL or not.


This is the main reason I bought this unit. The dual PCM1704 DAC.


Looking closely side by side between the Clarion HX-D1 to the Clarion DRX9255, the layout is almost the same, but I find there are much more different components use and the components arrangement especially on the analog output after the DAC.

The PCB quality on the Clarion HX-D1 in my opinion is also better.


The RCA plugs for the signal output on the Clarion HX-D1 is also better than the DRX9255 use.


So with the same audio setups like I did with the Clarion DRX9255 before, I just replace it with this Clarion HX-D1 then compares the sound quality between them.

I test this Clarion HX-D1 is using the built in CD player.

This comparison will not equal because the capacitors on the Clarion DRX9255 are already upgraded to Elna Silmic II here.

In contrast, the Clarion HX-D1 capacitors are still original. The OEM capacitors inside this unit already using the high grade Elna capacitor.

My first impression for this Clarion HX-D1 sound signature is all the same like DRX9255. All detail are playing like it should. The sound stage is very wide with all music playing in the same level. No noticeable difference between those unit.

They share the same sound signature between PCM1702 and PCM1704 on those units.

But the more I listen to the Clarion HX-D1, I feel the sound more dry and thin compares to the Clarion DRX9255. Maybe this is because the capacitors on the Clarion DRX9255 already upgraded and this play major role in smoother audio response.

The second noticeable difference is in the bass response with the Clarion HX-D1 is more louder and impactful. Other than that, I think they are the same.

I test this unit for quite long time. I takes several days with this Clarion HX-D1 stays in my audio system. I played lots of CD's with this unit and I find the CD album "I Believe - Sofia" is in HDCD format. I know this recording album is quite tricky, because if the system is not good enough, it will sound so slow and dull. But in good system, the music play flawlessly. When I insert this CD to the Clarion HX-D1, it trigger the HDCD logo to lit which I am quite surprise that this logo can be lit anyway:)

The music with HDCD format is very engaging. It is very dynamic with more wider sound-stage. I think this is what the Clarion HX-D1 really sells. It is all because the HDCD compatibility that push the DAC PCM1704 to 24 bit sample rate. But I think this 24 bit is not for me. For long run listening session which I almost spent one whole album, I feel quite dizzy. It is lots of detail that's makes me tired listened from it.

End of my words, this Clarion HX-D1 shares the same sound signature to the Clarion DRX9255. Although technically the PCM1704 is more superior than PCM1702, in reality, they are sound the same. The HDCD feature which makes this Clarion HX-D1 more advance is not really impress me so much. It makes me dizzy listening to the higher resolution.

From all my CD's collection, which is over 50 that often I listen to, I only find a CD compatible to triggered the HDCD logo to lit.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

6 comments:

  1. Hi dk you have a facebook account

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good evening bro, do you have diy for making an own dc dc converter for drz9255

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The DC DC converter is basicly a switching power supply just like inside the car power amplifier. You can take the power rail from it and regulated first to +/- 15v before come into the HU.
      Different case if you intended to use the HU for home, than building a regulated power supply would be easier.

      Delete
  3. Is there any option how to get those sound signature without cd, its hard to get or make a cd for now.. Do you have an experience with source in a car that have a signature sound that sound close to it with an aux or a flashdisk, and what source are they.. I've had a great experience with denon and hxd family, but its not practical anymore in this era which almost all the listerers using spotify or flash disk..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The current hires audio HU for car audio is sony RSX GS9. It has optical out which easily connect to the external DAC for better sound. I never use it, so very minimal I know about this HU.

      Why don't simply using high quality DAP such as Fiio M17 or others more affordable such as ibasso DX90 and use their line out connect to aux in HU? The Clarion HXD1 has aux input, and I believe same with others.

      Delete