February 14, 2021

Nakamichi DAC-101 (Part 1) The Hi-end Dual TDA1541A S1 DAC Review

My previous DAC review is the Sony CDP-750. It is a home CD player that targeting to budget audiophile. The components inside is all budget quality, but this CDP is using decent DAC IC from Philips, it is the TDA1541A. This DAC IC is very popular for the sound quality. But why I don't feel any good impression with this Sony CDP-750?

I have a planned to take out the DAC IC from this CD player and build one external DAC, but somehow this plan is postpone due to the problems that I had with my digital receiver unit, which none of my CS8414 works. Plus, searching this digital receiver IC today is very difficult since it is already obsolete many years ago.

So to make a shortcut, I am searching and finding a good source DAC using TDA1541A. Not single, but double TDA1541A. It is also S1 single crown specification, which have better LSB error tolerance than standard TDA1541A.

So let's take a look closely to this vintage hi-end car audio, the Nakamichi DAC-101.


This Nakamichi DAC-101 is a part of a whole car audio system which consist of the head unit, CD changer and power amplifier. The DAC-101 is the only DAC from Nakamichi using dual TDA1541A S1. I get it in used condition for less than US$200. Quite a great bargain I think.

Don't get fooled with today Nakamichi which already own by other Asian company. The original Nakamichi in 90's is all made in Japan with superior built quality like this.


Because this is a car audio unit, means it require 12 volt DC to power it ON. I using my trusty low noise 5 ampere power supply unit taken from old Sharp TV. I just shortcut the power input and remote input to the positive of the power supply, then the ground to the negative power supply.

All connector in this DAC-101 is standard RCA jack. This is for analog audio out and coaxial SPDIF input.

In this test, I am using LG DVD Player as CD transport and connect from the SPDIF out to this DAC unit. Then the analog audio output are connect to my home amplifier.

Once I turn the power ON, I can hear clicks inside the DAC unit. I am sure the click sound comes from the relay inside the unit. This is maybe for mute circuit at the analog out to prevent any noise before the digital signal lock in. It also clicks when the sampling rate changes as well.

My first listening session with this unit is very pleasing. The sound quality is so smooth and far better than the Sony CDP-750. The detail are more superior and the most satisfying is the vocal. It is very warm presentation. It is so smooth that I can feel the intimacy from the singer. The more I listen to this DAC the more I fall in love with the sound presentation. It is a live like music experience.

I can say this unit is better than the higher bit Clarion DRX9255 PCM1702 or HX-D1 PCM1704. But I don't want to conclude this now. I should listen to this more and more.

PCM1702 and PCM1704 DAC is very analytic sound with great soundstage and lots of micro detail. All music presentation are in in the same level that create a natural sound presentation. Unlike this unit using dual TDA1541A S1 DAC is more warm in vocal, focusing to the singer presentation and they are both completely different in sound characteristic.

What I can say for this moment is both of them are sound great but the Nakamichi DAC-101 is more musical for me.

So after almost 3 hours straight I listen the music from this unit, I smell funny things came from it. The DAC heatsink is very hot and it is unusual for a DAC to become this hot. Then few seconds later the sound completely disappears. I turn OFF the system immediately and let it cool for a while. Then I turn it ON again but unfortunately there is no sound coming out from this unit anymore, although the LED is still lit normally.

The funny smell is going stronger and for sure this unit has burned inside.

On the next post, I will check the cause of this problem, so stay tuned.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

3 comments:

  1. What happened next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog reminds me of Japanese blogs that have such great depth and content on your journey of discovery, for the best sound. I appreciate your story, there are not to many of us in the English speaking world that have this passion, it’s usually focused on newer hardware with testing vintage for baseline performance sound first, since the golden age of audio was from the mid 80s, ending in the late 90s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind compliment, and I completely agree for the era of audio manufacture pushing so much on their resources for the sound quality, yet the beginning of digital audio improvement through the best ladder conversion until the end of 90's.

      Delete