September 17, 2019

STAX SR-L300 & SRM252S The Electrostatic Headphones & Amplifier

This STAX SR-L300 & the amplifier SRM252S is the most expensive headphones compares to the previous line up I had. If you find it second hand with the condition like this one, you are definitely lucky.


This STAX SR-L300 headphones is not just like your ordinary headphone, this is electrostatic headphones that require special amplifier to drive it. That is why this STAX SR-L300 is always combine with the SRM-252S the electrostatic amplifier.

Before I going further to the headphones, let's see what inside this amplifier box.

It is a straight forward unboxing experience. You got the amp securely covered by Styrofoam inside and the little box for the wall adapter. The rest is only a piece of paper about how to operate this amp properly.

Built quality for the amp is quite okay but not the best. At the back panel I found 2 pair input and output RCA jack. They are connected in parallel between input and output. I suggest you to treat this amp as single input only to drive the headphones and not try to connect the output to your desktop amp or other device, otherwise you will experience the huge degradation in sound quality.

And this is the STAX headphones. The electrostatic headphones that require high voltage to make vibration to the plates. This technology is using by Quad in 50's and the same technology is absorb by Martin Logan on their current product line up.


Built quality is not the best. Just like the Sennheiser HD 6XX that I reviewed yesterday, it comes with cheap plastic material. Hmn.. not quite good for this price range.

The cable connected to each driver is five strains cables. That is why this headphones require special amp that comes with the purchase.

The size of this headphones is huge. It can cover almost your head. The pad that comes with it is thin and covered by very high quality leather. I put it on my head and it is feels quite comfortable.



The head band is also feel cheap except the leather for the headphones holder to the head still using high quality suede.

Proprietary cables comes also with proprietary connector. Looking more detail, I feel the connector is built by high quality material.

In this occasion, I try to pull out the pad and change it to thicker one.

Pull it firmly and it detach from the headphones.

See how thin is the pad. Perhaps only about a centimeter.

The electrostatic driver. Look how huge it is.

The new pad comes with 3D printing pad. It is exactly same size like the original.

The good things is it can be return to the original pad at anytime. 



It feels more comfy now without any sound degradation.

Sound wise, it is the best headphones I've ever heard. The detail, the highs, the bass all comes with good balance, best clarity, no peaks or dips in overall frequency response.

If you have the money to spent and going deep to this hobby, then look no others than this STAX headphones and amplifier, period.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

3 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I stumbled upon your blog today, which I really appreciated. Thank you very much for that.

    I have an old Stax 303 headphone + SRM 313 amplifier and I really want a newer headphone.
    So I'm eyeing this L300 because the 500 and 700 are too expensive for me.

    Do you have any details on the 3D supports you have installed as well as the thicker pads.
    Do you have a link to possibly purchase them ?

    Isn't the extra thickness provided by these pads too restrictive for the headband ?

    Thank you.

    Guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Guy, many thanks for youe appreciation.
    I ordered the 3D based on the original pad. I guess many workshop offering the same service like this. But for sure you don’t want to doing this because the plastic material from 3D printing not solid enough and they easy to break.
    I guess I’ve tell somewhere about this 3D printing with thick pads are big NO NO. My head band is break several month after using this thick pads. Then I replaced all original pad along with the head band ordered from STAX directly. It is expensive for sure 😑

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK thanks for your answer.

    I will see my feelings when I am in possession of the L300.
    If I'm not too happy with the thinness of the L300 pads, especially if my ears are touching the grille, I will probably order the pads from the L500 or L700.

    Guy

    ReplyDelete