September 24, 2019

DAC All Around Part 2 - Schiit Modi Multibit

In the headphones review last week, I mostly using this Schiit Modi Multibit as DAC then the analog output going through the amp. Yet, this Modi has lots of feature in the input section, almost all popular input nowadays such as, USB input, coaxial, and optical/ toslink input you can hook it up to this tiny DAC. The selling price is very tempting, it is only US$249. But how it is perform?
The design is also so simple. With the size of my palm hand, it has only one button at the front for selecting the input source. It is auto detect when you turn on this unit and it takes a minute for this DAC to find the source.

Opening up the aluminium cover with only unscrew the four bolt at the top, you will now find the main board of this Mody DAC. At the top layer, you only find the eprom IC and regulated power supply circuit.

Deeper unscrew all the bolts, you can see underneath the board has the AKM4113VF as digital receiver along with many Analog Device IC as the DAC.

I can see the AD5547, ADSP21478 SHARC and 1551 op-amp. To be honest this is very good DAC with DSP capability. You can find this type SHARC DSP chip on hi-end mobile audio such Alpine.

Mentioning the power supply section is also satisfying, Schiit using good capacitor here. I don't have any complaint at all.



The sound performance is that all matters after all. This Schiit Modi Multibit doesn't even disappointing me. Don't fooled by the price, I hook this DAC to my headphones setup using Schiit Magni amp or my home audio system and it sound very very good. I even don't want to go back to my previous DAC here. I got full detail of music with good separation with this Modi. There is a noticeable background noise but it is even better than the DAC I test before. It is just like a combination between dynamic sound and good vocal. Not the V-type sound DAC out there.

Before I missed something, I should tell that this DAC does not support DSD files.Using the same music files for the previous DAC comparison get me full picture of the sound signature in this DAC among the others. Music flowing without missing any notes and the vocal presentation is clear, I can give a recommendation for the best DAC over it's price.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment