September 6, 2019

Audio-Technica ATH-M40x My Current Daily Driver

I owned this headphone quite some time. This Audio-Technica ATH-M40x is cheap and suitable as all around headphone. It is about US$79 I guess and I have been using it since 2 years ago. The reason I never posting this headphone is because it is already so popular and I don't have to add it more. Since for the next post will be so much on headphone stuff, so I think I should share a bit my current daily driver headphone.


Lets talk to what I like about this headphone. It is light, quite comfortable, and great built quality. All body made from plastic and I have no doubt on this price range.

The head band also covered with leather and marked the Audio-Technica brand. It is quite flashy in my opinion.

This headphone is a winner for portability especially while on traveling. It can be bending for storing purpose and saved placed. But to be honest, I don't like this feature. Sometimes when I put this headphone on my head, the band easily bending and the head-cup are rotating itself. Anyway, you can see the leather cup are starting to peeled off. This will happens to all Audio-Technica headphone leather after more than a year of usage.

For the M40x series, the package is bundled with 2 different kind of cables. One is straight 3 meter, and the other is 1,5 meter coil cable. The package also give you the plug adapter for 6.3 mm headphone jack and a leather pouch.

For the cables itself, I don't think I shouldn't complain and if I got more upgrade budget then I would get the better one. I guess I had paid cheap enough for this good quality headphones and they need something to cut for that offer. Fair enough!

I using it while listening from Apple Music using my iPhone 5. I also using the iPod Video or using Fiio M3K DSD player for listening hi-res music with this headphones. Sound wise, it is good and suitable for all around music. I could not agree more.


In this price point, Audio-Technica ATH-M40x is the good headphones that anyone could buy! It is an entry level headphones for listening and monitoring purpose. My first impression is the deep and punchy bass with dry and piercing treble. But once it is already burn-in, the vocal is good enough and the highs are not to edgy as the first time.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment