Skip to main content

Easy Way To Spot Genuine K170 & J74 Transistor

As we know that finding the original 2SK170 & 2SJ74 is very hard now. Some seller might sell them in pairs for about US$50. I remember 8 years ago I bought this transistor only US$2 each. No wonder the price jump that higher due to the Toshiba itself who made this J-FET is already stop production for few decades ago. As long you get the genuine then it is good. But you might consider not getting the fake one for sure. Especially if you don't know how to check it visually, then I tell you the clue for it.


You cannot check the performance of idss this transistor before you buy. Then this is a good example for spotting the genuine K170. First thing you cannot notice only by the marking. The very left transistor is J74 but the wording is washed away due to improper storage for long period of time. Both of them are genuine by the way.

Then you should notice that the wording for K170 has bigger font than the wording bellow it. The 'BL21' wording should be smaller. All genuine K170 & J74 has this common characteristic and this is the only way to spot the genuine and the fake.

So you can search many seller sell this transistor for cheap, then you should remember the font of the wording that never fail to telling it. The fake one has the same size of font between upper and lower wording.

Let's take a look the parcel from Spencer that I bought few years ago.

I did import this J74 because there is no seller in my country selling it with reasonable price.

Then you see the wording, it is genuine!

The most nightmare for DIY'ers is working on the project with the fake components. So beware of it rather the project could not go as per expected.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPA1622 Vs. OPA627 High Performance Op-amps Comparison

This op-amps comparison topic is actually boring, but at the same time, many of us still curious about what others think about it. The reason is simply because of the op-amps variation are hundreds and they are depends by the implementation. The op-amps are considerably cheap and an interchangeable electronic components but they are not built for the same function. So in this discussion, I will focus on the modern Vs. vintage high performance op-amps in the simple non-inverting pre-amplifier gain stage.

Vintage Multibit R2R DAC Tier List

At the very beginning of this year, I committed to explore the best multi-bit R2R DAC. This is simply because I have plenty of the resources (from broken old unit CD player of course) and ability to build them up. If you think this kind a recycle from old un-used unit to become something useful, than I should stated myself giving contribute for greener world:) After all DAC that I built in this year, I think it is better for me to list them up again in one single page like this. Then I will rank them up in a simple tier list. The reason for this, so you all know what my opinion about of those vintage multibit R2R DAC especially in the sound quality.

Signal Path Capacitor Comparison - Elna Cerafine Vs. Silmic II

I you following the discussion online, there are many endless debate about sound quality improvement from one capacitors to another. Some of them did a comparison between certain branded capacitors, which in my opinion, the result are very subjective. To make this comparison more crowded, so in this post will I adding another capacitor comparison.  Previously I did a capacitor upgrade on the Pioneer KEH-P9750 head unit using Elna Silmic capacitor for the signal path only. I will take this opportunity to compare between the Elna Silmic II and the Elna Cerafine. Both capacitor are produced by the same company. I believe the result would be more objective.