Skip to main content

DIY Portable FM Radio (Part 2) Potentiometer Tuning

I continue my post here about making the FM radio front end. The AFC out from it need to be connect to the FM modulator. In this project I using the very popular IC, it is LA1260. I also using the common potentiometer for radio frequency tuning instead of variable capacitor just like many commercial radio have.


I tell you a story behind this project. I want a radio after see the front end board as describes on the part 1. I looking around and find the Sony ICF-P36 is very tempting. Unfortunately after I test the unit, it is not impress me in term of sound quality and the FM radio reception. So I better built it for myself:)

This is the full schematic of the FM modulator using LA1260. It is very common schematic but the different with others FM radio is on the tuning point. I using potentiometer  to swing the voltage on the FM front end thus it control the FM frequency reception.

You also see the AFC input has 2 point in this modulator. One before the CF on IC pin 1 and the other at the radio analog output after the 1 mega ohm resistor.

I continue the components placement after the front end circuit.

I attach the IFT body to ground by a single wire.

And this is the final layout. The FM front end and the modulator has been connected each other. In this step, this radio is now working properly.

You can attach the output from IC pin 8 to an earphone. You will hear the sound from it and it is useful for checking the radio is working or not before going to the next step.

I using the ALPS green potentiometer for this frequency tuning. I also make the small adjustment on the IFT for clearer radio reception. The next step will be adding a small amplifier circuit that capable for a 3 volt supply.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPA1622 Vs. OPA627 High Performance Op-amps Comparison

This op-amps comparison topic is actually boring, but at the same time, many of us still curious about what others think about it. The reason is simply because of the op-amps variation are hundreds and they are depends by the implementation. The op-amps are considerably cheap and an interchangeable electronic components but they are not built for the same function. So in this discussion, I will focus on the modern Vs. vintage high performance op-amps in the simple non-inverting pre-amplifier gain stage.

Vintage Multibit R2R DAC Tier List

At the very beginning of this year, I committed to explore the best multi-bit R2R DAC. This is simply because I have plenty of the resources (from broken old unit CD player of course) and ability to build them up. If you think this kind a recycle from old un-used unit to become something useful, than I should stated myself giving contribute for greener world:) After all DAC that I built in this year, I think it is better for me to list them up again in one single page like this. Then I will rank them up in a simple tier list. The reason for this, so you all know what my opinion about of those vintage multibit R2R DAC especially in the sound quality.

Signal Path Capacitor Comparison - Elna Cerafine Vs. Silmic II

I you following the discussion online, there are many endless debate about sound quality improvement from one capacitors to another. Some of them did a comparison between certain branded capacitors, which in my opinion, the result are very subjective. To make this comparison more crowded, so in this post will I adding another capacitor comparison.  Previously I did a capacitor upgrade on the Pioneer KEH-P9750 head unit using Elna Silmic capacitor for the signal path only. I will take this opportunity to compare between the Elna Silmic II and the Elna Cerafine. Both capacitor are produced by the same company. I believe the result would be more objective.