June 16, 2023

Sennheiser HD800 Was My Dream Headphone

I am quite remember many years ago when the first time I saw the advertisement flyer contain of the Sennheiser HD800 headphone, it instantly blew me away by just looking to the design. This is an expensive headphone that cost US$1,500. At that time, I believe this would be the best headphone in the world.

Ever since, the HD800 is become my dream headphone, until I got it on my hands right now.

But will this headphone fulfilled my long audiophile dream?

Let's continue.


Who doesn't like the design of the HD800?

I think no body.

It is a mature design, it is looks like a futuristic headphone but also looks professional and yet refreshment from any headphone design available in the market.

This headphone is a solid built. You can feel it once you get it on hands. My impression with this headphone is the most solid headphone I've ever wear.




The headphone housing is all aluminum, it is surprising light weight and very durable.

The driver size are big and the head band is large enough to put on every big head like mine. If I expand the band at the full size, then the headphone will fall from my head.




I always curious about what is the silver mesh material covering to the HD800 drivers.

I touch it and it is just a fine wire mesh that the function is just for a protective grill.

Just as simple as that.

But it is so esthetical.



Continue to the cables quality, the HD800 package comes with one high quality cable. The cable diameter is large enough and it is flexible.

The most satisfying of all is when I connecting the cable connector to the headphone. It can tells how smooth the socket when it inserted.






That's all what I think about the appearances of this HD800, now continue to the sound quality.

As you maybe know that I had several experience from the others headphone that become my personal reference when evaluating this HD800, they are:

1. Sennheiser HD600 link here

This might be my all time reference headphone. I put my review about it in this blog many times. The sound signature is smooth, warm midrange and great layering sound is the strong points for this headphone.

2. Audeze LCD2 link here

I like this Audeze LCD2 even more than the HD600 simply because it is more forgiving to hear with any kind equipment's. It is easy to drive and the sound signature is similar to HD600 but better in the upper and lower frequency details. Although this headphone is heavier than the HD600, but it is still comfortable enough to wear.

3. Hifiman HE-6

I never post this headphone yet on my blog. I hate to say that I don't like Hifiman sound signature at all. Especially for this HE-6 is even worse. It is very hard to drive and sibilance sound that I cannot bear to hold it on my ears. This headphone is also the heaviest headphone compare to others.

4. Koss Kph30i

I also never post this little cheap headphone in my blog because there are a lot information about this KPH30i online. In fact, I using this headphone almost all the time, simply because it is cheap, it sound very good for the money, and it is easy to drive with any source.

5. Others headphone

The others headphone such as Audio Technica ATH R70x, Sennheiser HD6xx, Hifiman HE-400, Beyerdynamic T1, and many more that I think the sound are not special compares to what I've describe above.


During my test, this HD800 need lots of power to drive it well. This is similar to my experience with the Hifiman HE-6. But once you pair this headphone with proper amplifier, it sound beautiful.

And this is my experience with this Sennheiser HD800.

This HD800 is the most neutral and unforgiving headphone I've ever tried.

What does it means?

This HD800 is truthful sound presentation headphone and very suitable for music or audio components monitoring system.

Every components matters to the final sound of this HD800. Once you miss-match the components then you will experienced the nasty sound of this HD800 like what I heard from lower powered amplifier.

Same scenario such as changing to the vacuum tubes headphone amplifier, the difference between one to another are substantial and changing the overall sound characteristic.

My best recipe for this HD800 great sounding headphone is like this:

I am using Reisong A10 vacuum tubes amplifier for home amplifier that I modify to become triode high bias headphone amplifier here.

I am using PCM63 PK DAC here in this test and I still believe this is the best multibit DAC ever made by human.

The HD800 sound with those equipment's are the best sounding headphone amplifier I've ever heard. It is sound fuller, details for both micro and macro sound, depth and wide soundstage and smooth yet very dynamic sound.

The sound signature of this HD800 is very neutral and balance.




So with all of this, back to my first question, is this HD800 headphone fulfilled my audiophile dream?

The short answer, absolutely yes.

But will I using this HD800 as my ultimate reference headphone? Simply not.

To be honest, this HD800 is not for everyone. I still love the Audeze LCD2 sound presentation. The LCD2 is more forgiving to the equipment you are pair with it. The typical Audeze LCD2 sound signature is more emphasis on fluidness and warmth of the music rather than more critical listening, very neutral and equipment dependent that required by the HD800 itself.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

1 comment: