May 5, 2023

Revisiting TDA1541 Ultimate DAC

My last post about the components upgrade of TDA1541 USB DAC was give me a surprised sound quality result. But it is not mine anymore. You can check to the previous post in here.

Long story short, this is started when someone contact me and because he is following my blog for some years and want to try my DAC built. He really interested with it and the conversation end up with a deal for the TDA1541 USB DAC. Then he got the DAC and amazed on how good is the sound from this vintage multibit DAC.

I am happy with that.

He like it and that DAC break the dogma for the vintage multibit DAC sound slow, boring and mellow.

Then he requested me to upgrade some components that I had posted before. The sound quality after the upgrade is in my opinion way better.

After that, I felt something missing.

I want to hear the sound from the TDA1541 DAC again.

So, this what I did.


I return back to my previous ultimate DAC built.

As you may know that I already built my first ultimate DAC using TDA1541 here and here. It is still a basic DAC implementation especially on the analog stages, then I keep experimenting many kind method after that built.

This ultimate DAC main goal was to built the best implementation of the vintage multibit DAC and it is also capable for future upgrade. Then later on, I did some upgrade by changed the ultimate DAC module by using the AD1865NK DAC IC and oversampling it with CXD1144.

For sure, at that point, I am happy with the result. It is nothing wrong with it. But still the TDA1541 has some magic that I should return back that DAC again.


Lucky I still keep one TDA1541 IC and the previous built of the TDA1541 DAC board.

I did some components changes on the DAC module especially for the CS8412 digital receiver power supply by adding an inductor for the analog supply side. By far, this will result better jitter performance based on the CS8412 datasheet.

Other than that, I think the remaining components are all the same, just a minor components upgrade especially for the DAC power supply capacitors is now using all Nichicon brand.

Then the other changes is on the power supply board.




The previous power supply module is I think too much capacitors on it. At some point, the result from this multiple large capacitors are useless, even with more lower ESR point.

An additional small 5 VA transformer for separating the digital and the analog power supply section is just a waste. I don't hear any difference using it or share the same power supply with the main power transformer.

So I rebuilt the power supply board for this new TDA1541 DAC using only a single 25 VA transformer and with only small high quality capacitors on it.



This power supply module doesn't need so much capacitors because on the regulators module I already put so many capacitors on each voltage regulators for both inputs and outputs.

For sure, they are more than enough to make clean power for DAC.


On the analog section, I still keep using the GIC LPF as my previous built.

GIC is Generalized Impedance Converter which type of LPF that more complex than the others. You can check again my post about this GIC LPF here.

When I implementing this GIC on the TDA1541, the sound result from this DAC is amazing. With GIC LPF filter, the TDA1541 never sound this good. But when I did the same with the oversampling AD1865, the sound result is also improved but not much. This might because of the TDA1541 DAC is in the non-oversampling method so the analog output need more sharper LPF point from GIC filter.

The GIC LPF works like 3rd order LPF, plus in this ultimate DAC, I adding a pair 1:1 transformer manufactured by Sowter USA. This transformer is a signal transformer that commonly use for converting the single ended output to balanced, or vice versa, but this can be also use for DC blocking, impedance matching, and additional LPF created by the nature behavior of the transformers itself.

The result from GIC filter and transformer output in this TDA1541 DAC analog section is just like a brick-wall LPF.


With all the modules ready, I put them inside the chassis.

This TDA1541 ultimate DAC is now return back again.



It is sound so good and probably you will wondering how this ultimate TDA1541 DAC compares to my others DAC built, especially when comparing to the PCM63 DAC that I keep talking about how good it is here.

So I did a comparison.

This TDA1541 DAC sound quality is similar to the PCM63 non K, non grade, with some minor difference in the sound signature.

The TDA1541 sound signature is open, more layering on the mid-range with better micro details. The bass presentation is slightly weaker, but still deliver solid and punchy attack. Overall sound is raw (maybe because it is in non-oversampling), a little bit mellow and warm on the midrange and more forward presentation.

The PCM63 non K, non grade sound signature is more neutral with more balance on every frequency response. The bass is deeper, more attack than the TDA1541, the midrange is more laid back and the high frequency are smooth with more overall detail presentation. I can say the PCM63 DAC sound more balance for all instruments presentation compare to the TDA1541.

Going back and forth from TDA1541 to the PCM63 non K, non grade, I can conclude that personal taste is playing a subjective role for both great DAC.

I still amazed when realized that this 16 bit TDA1541 DAC IC is built way older and more vintage than the newer 20 bit PCM63 DAC, but it still can keep the sound quality up to date.

Then I also comparing this ultimate TDA1541 DAC to the PCM63 P-K which is the highest grade for the PCM63 family.

Again, the TDA1541 is not bad at all. It is sound very musical and enjoyable, while the PCM63 P-K sound more precise, fuller in every frequency response and more natural with better detail and openness is the sound presentation.

They are both good sounding vintage multibit DAC that worth to keep as my reference DAC.

So at the end, I can now enjoy this TDA1541 DAC on my audio system again.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

4 comments:

  1. Can you share GIC schematic using output transformer ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I had shared the GIC schematic on my previous post. And the output transformer is added at the output from the GIC filter as decoupling.

      Delete
  2. Hi, what model Sowter are you using ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure the exact type number, I got it from my friend long time ago. It is 1:1 each 600 ohm.

      Delete