April 14, 2023

TDA1541 USB DAC Components Upgrade

Previously, I had built a USB DAC using TDA1541A S1 and GIC LPF here and I think this is the best implementation of TDA1541 DAC IC I've ever made.

The TDA1541 DAC in general, sound more focus on mid-range and I never thought that my TDA1541 DAC built can sound dynamic, open and details.

Then, I curious what improvement that could be made for this DAC to sound even better.

So in this post, I will try to replacing few components to the higher grade and let's see if this upgrade are worth for every money spent.


The first step is the DAC board are dissemble from the chassis and I can check what components are need to be replace to the higher grade.

The components that caught my eyes for this upgrade is on the power supply capacitors.

The initial design are using 220uF Panasonic FC capacitors for the voltage regulators and those components will be replace with 330uF Elna Cerafine.

Although the value are not so much different, the size of the Elna Cerafine capacitors are so big and it is common for an audio capacitors. 



The others capacitors need to upgrade are at the signal output capacitors for DC blocking. Previously I am using Elna Silmic 100uF capacitors and those will also be replaced.

They are quite critical parts and I will using Audio Note Kaisei BP with the same value as the original.



Once all components ready, I start replacing the capacitors on the voltage regulators first.

This is not an easy task to remove the on board capacitors and put the new one since all connection are done by point-to-point, but it is still possible to do with the same neat result especially to keep the traces bellow the board undamaged.

Those new Elna Cerafine capacitors taking so much spaces compares to the old one, but they are still fit perfectly.




The next things to do is replacing the output decoupling capacitors using AN Kaisei BP.

I will also replace the 100k output resistors to ground with the same exotic components as the capacitors, which is the Audio Note resistor as well.



I am not stopping here yet, I am continue to using the Mundorf pure silver wire wrapped with teflon jacket for the audio signal connection.



The RCA plugs are also replace with Cardas silver coated RCA plugs.

This Cardas RCA plugs are becoming rare right now. It hardly see someone sell it. It is great plugs with more reasonable price compares to the other brands.


Finished with all components upgrade, then I move on to the last upgrade is of course changing the op-amps.

Previously I am using my favorite op-amps the 5532 or OP275. I am quite satisfy with those op-amps sound signature and doesn't think to change them anyway.

But,

In this upgrade, I am using the higher audio performance op-amps, it is the LME49720NA.



It is all finished for the components upgrade and I am ready to hear the result from this.


With the same setups previously, I start playing some music.

I cannot believe that the improvement from using those high grade components are huge.

This TDA1541 USB DAC is at another level of sound quality. This components upgrade makes the music presentation smoother but at the same time pushing the dynamic sound presentation more aggressive.

The macro and micro details are reveal better. I can hear so much details from the music right now. Very clear presentation with pin point instruments more reveal.

The overall music presentation are now more enjoyable, very musical with so much texture in the mid-range and overall balance in tonality.

This sound quality result makes me smile again. No one will believe this is the sound from non-oversampling TDA1541A S1 DAC IC.

But the cost for this components upgrade is not cheap.

If you willing to spent more for this high-grade components upgrade, then go for it.

Because the result from this upgrade is marvelous.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

2 comments:

  1. Another think to do is remove opamps from audio path, do i/v on resistor or germanium tranzistor, another think you can do is point to point pcb conection with sliver wire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also recomended matrix spdif 2 usb converter with matrix computer pci-e card - element h, wireworld stalight usb cable and wireworld silverlight coaxial cable

      Delete