October 13, 2022

The Ultimate R2R USB DAC PCM1704 With Vacuum Tubes Output (Part 3) Chassis & Assembly

On the previous parts, I have made separate PCB for each DAC and power supply modules. This method makes me easier to upgrade to a different module someday.

The total modules are 4 PCB which they are consist of:

1. The PCM1704 DAC with receiver and power supply regulators.

2. The high voltage transformer for the vacuum tubes.

3. The low voltage power supply and regulator circuit for the vacuum tubes.

4. And the last is the vacuum tubes analog module.

Continuing this ultimate DAC project, I need to put them altogether in one single chassis.

And here it is.


If you follow my blog since last year, I often using new aluminum chassis for all my DAC project. They are looking good but the price is expensive.

Since this year, I prefer to recycle the chassis from un-used electronic devices and it far more cheaper. I prefer this idea since the budget spending on those chassis can be put somewhere on the components.

Like in this project, the chassis I choose is un-used power supply chassis that previously from a pre-amplifier set system.


The first time it came to my working desk is is very dirty. I need some time to clean them up and paint the chassis with the black color.

The result is look so much better now.






I personally think that this chassis model is very nice. It is steel bottom, side and front with aluminum back plate and top cover.

The front is covered with thick acrylic and the side panels are covered with wood. This really reminds me of the hi-end audio system that popular on 90's.

The next step is put all modules together.




I focus on the voltage wiring first. I should make sure the connection are correct and then I turn on the unit by using a test lamp to make sure nothing wrong on it.




Once the connection are correct, I can continue to install the input/output connection, put the IC's and the vacuum tubes into the modules.













It is look so pretty inside.

I am not expecting the result could be this good.

I test the sound from this PCM1704 DAC, it sound wonderful.

The USB to I2S module also can translate the 24 bit 96kHz music files into it.





I will make separate post about this DAC sound review.

For sure, this DAC makes me listen to the music like I am so much immerse into it.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment