Skip to main content

The Ultimate R2R USB DAC PCM1704 With Vacuum Tubes Output (Part 3) Chassis & Assembly

On the previous parts, I have made separate PCB for each DAC and power supply modules. This method makes me easier to upgrade to a different module someday.

The total modules are 4 PCB which they are consist of:

1. The PCM1704 DAC with receiver and power supply regulators.

2. The high voltage transformer for the vacuum tubes.

3. The low voltage power supply and regulator circuit for the vacuum tubes.

4. And the last is the vacuum tubes analog module.

Continuing this ultimate DAC project, I need to put them altogether in one single chassis.

And here it is.


If you follow my blog since last year, I often using new aluminum chassis for all my DAC project. They are looking good but the price is expensive.

Since this year, I prefer to recycle the chassis from un-used electronic devices and it far more cheaper. I prefer this idea since the budget spending on those chassis can be put somewhere on the components.

Like in this project, the chassis I choose is un-used power supply chassis that previously from a pre-amplifier set system.


The first time it came to my working desk is is very dirty. I need some time to clean them up and paint the chassis with the black color.

The result is look so much better now.






I personally think that this chassis model is very nice. It is steel bottom, side and front with aluminum back plate and top cover.

The front is covered with thick acrylic and the side panels are covered with wood. This really reminds me of the hi-end audio system that popular on 90's.

The next step is put all modules together.




I focus on the voltage wiring first. I should make sure the connection are correct and then I turn on the unit by using a test lamp to make sure nothing wrong on it.




Once the connection are correct, I can continue to install the input/output connection, put the IC's and the vacuum tubes into the modules.













It is look so pretty inside.

I am not expecting the result could be this good.

I test the sound from this PCM1704 DAC, it sound wonderful.

The USB to I2S module also can translate the 24 bit 96kHz music files into it.





I will make separate post about this DAC sound review.

For sure, this DAC makes me listen to the music like I am so much immerse into it.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPA1622 Vs. OPA627 High Performance Op-amps Comparison

This op-amps comparison topic is actually boring, but at the same time, many of us still curious about what others think about it. The reason is simply because of the op-amps variation are hundreds and they are depends by the implementation. The op-amps are considerably cheap and an interchangeable electronic components but they are not built for the same function. So in this discussion, I will focus on the modern Vs. vintage high performance op-amps in the simple non-inverting pre-amplifier gain stage.

Vintage Multibit R2R DAC Tier List

At the very beginning of this year, I committed to explore the best multi-bit R2R DAC. This is simply because I have plenty of the resources (from broken old unit CD player of course) and ability to build them up. If you think this kind a recycle from old un-used unit to become something useful, than I should stated myself giving contribute for greener world:) After all DAC that I built in this year, I think it is better for me to list them up again in one single page like this. Then I will rank them up in a simple tier list. The reason for this, so you all know what my opinion about of those vintage multibit R2R DAC especially in the sound quality.

Signal Path Capacitor Comparison - Elna Cerafine Vs. Silmic II

I you following the discussion online, there are many endless debate about sound quality improvement from one capacitors to another. Some of them did a comparison between certain branded capacitors, which in my opinion, the result are very subjective. To make this comparison more crowded, so in this post will I adding another capacitor comparison.  Previously I did a capacitor upgrade on the Pioneer KEH-P9750 head unit using Elna Silmic capacitor for the signal path only. I will take this opportunity to compare between the Elna Silmic II and the Elna Cerafine. Both capacitor are produced by the same company. I believe the result would be more objective.