April 16, 2021

Obsolete DIY Audio (Part 1) Tripath TA2024 Amplifier

Do it yourself or DIY for the audio equipment is a journey.

You get better experience over one project to another, either it is a good project or the fail one. This DIY audio is not cheap. I always say it to the new comers. I started this hobby when I am teenager, then it keep continues until now. This hobby right now is far easier than my past. Especially with so much information over the internet right now, all problems seems not a problem at all. If I summ all my tools and spare parts cost, they will be worth for moderate audio system.

So what related this intro to this post anyway? Well, in the past, I experience many audio project that give better result. Sometimes, I was wondering how they perform right now? So I will build it again to test in my current audio system.

Right now, I still wondering how good is the small class D amplifier. The famous one is Tripath  TA2024 amplifier that I have praised it very much in the past. This is a very efficient amplifier, running single supply, means can using battery which is really capable and reliable. The power output only about 6 watt per channel, but if pair with the moderate efficient speakers, it can sing very well.

That is my experience in the past and how is will perform right now? So I will make this Tripath TA2024 amplifier again, only to pay my curiosity.


The Tripath TA2024 amplifier was obsolete two decade ago. I still have this amplifier module bought around 2012.

Previously I had upgrade the components on this module especially replace the input capacitor to Elna Silmic. The DC coupling capacitor was replaced with the Nichicon Muse green as well. The inductor which are playing major role in the sound quality also replaced to the TDK inductor.

The module I have here is using high quality double layer PCB.

Since I want to put this amplifier module inside the aluminum casing, so I attach it to the universal board first. This universal board dimension is same as the internal aluminum casing which already have the slot to accommodate it inside. 



To improve the linearity, I adding another capacitor at the DC input. The capacitor is the high quality Nichicon Super Through.


To make this amplifier project on budget, the speakers output and the line input are directly solder into the main board. There no terminals in this amplifier, just bare wire output.





Then I just connecting all speakers cable directly to my speakers.

The line input is using no potentiometer because I directly connect to Clarion DRX-9255EXL or HX-D1 which already have pre-amplifier and volume control inside those unit.



I powering this amplifier using single 12 volt 7Ah SLA battery. This battery capacity is big enough to withstand for hours of listening before the voltage drop to bellow 11 volt.

As usual, I still using my DIY Gainclone LM3886 amplifier for the comparison here.

The speakers is DIY 2 way SB Acoustic here.

The source is Clarion DRX-9255 EXL and HX-D1 which are well know for reputable multibit R2R DAC inside them.

From the first time I listen the music with this Tripath TA2024 amplifier, I find the vocal are too forward. Very warm and smooth presentation which is in my opinion is good.

Others than that, the sound-stage is quite narrow and the music detail are not rich. This is also impact to the high frequency presentation which is not as open as the music should.

The bass response is good in my opinion, low enough and have a good impact and timing. Although sometimes the bass coloring the mid frequency so much.

The stereo separation in my opinion is good and each channel playing the music simultaneously according the source.

At the end of this test, I change back the amplifier to the Gainclone LM3886 and the sound so much fuller. It is night and day difference in the music presentation which in my opinion the sound with the Gainclone is so much better.

So, I only stay with this Tripath amplifier for a day only and then I immediate replace it again to the Gainclone amplifier.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment