April 9, 2021

Nakamichi DAC-101 (Part 6) Decoupling Capacitor Upgrade

I think this is the last post for Nakamichi DAC-101 components upgrade.

At this moment, this is the best sounding DAC for me, especially since my previous components upgrade. Those steps makes this DAC sound quality significantly better and it also improve the reliability of the unit.

But something across my mind about the decoupling capacitor on the TDA1541. This capacitors function are for the active divider inside the IC. Based on the datasheet recommendation, the capacitor value are 100nF each. There are 14 pieces for each TDA1541. Interestingly for most vintage hi-end CD player which using the same TDA1541 as the DAC, the capacitors value are more than 100nF up to 470nF.

So by looking inside this Nakamichi DAC-101, I will share the upgrading process of those decoupling capacitor using 470nF Wima MKS. Then I will find out how this upgrade improve the sound quality.


A good quality film capacitor mostly comes with big size. This would be a problems when fit them inside this unit.

I was searching the best performance film capacitor but still maintaining the small size of it, then I end up with this Wima MKS capacitor. The Wima MKS is metallized polyester capacitor which should be okay for this capacitor upgrade. The 470nF size really fits into the PCB inside the unit.





After this removal process, then I can put the new capacitors on it. Look how this Wima MKS capacitor perfectly fit to the PCB.


With this all new capacitor on board, then I test the sound improvement from this DAC.

The first things I notice after this capacitors upgrade is the more quiet background of the music. The sound also more impact in low frequency, yet smoother on vocal and highs. The detail also improve without any harsh, yet the sound-stage is now more three-dimensional that really makes me feel I am into the music.

This capacitors upgrade brings this Nakamichi DAC-101 sound quality to the next level.

With this current condition, I guess I can sleep well now.

I know that my audio system, especially the DAC is at the top of the line sound quality, which I guess, it can be compete with the more current expensive hi-end DAC out there.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment