January 15, 2021

Modern Delta Sigma DAC Vs. Vintage Multibit DAC

The DAC is the major components in the audio system. It determined how the whole audio system will sounds like. The analogy is close to the analog source such as the turntable, which the phono stage and the needle are playing major rules in how the audio system sounds like. Then in digital source, the DAC is having the same function as the phono stage, of course without neglecting others components besides the DAC in the audio system such as the amplifier and the speakers. But in this post, I will focusing only at the DAC.


The common audio system consist of a pair of speaker, an amplifier and the music source.

For the speaker that I use is not changed since 3 years ago. Before that, I was using the single driver speaker for more than 5 years. This means, I am not really often changing the speaker. I will and still using it as long I already comfortable with it and my ears are suit to the sound characteristic of the speaker.

Same with the amplifier, but for this, it change a little bit more often because I like to build an amplifier. I try the class AB amplifier, then I try class A, then I also try the class D amplifier. At this moment, I return back to class AB amplifier again and maybe later I change it again, and so on, and so on. From all of those changed, the amplifier should match with the speaker, then it will stays for quite long time on my listening room.

Then, the very fast moving components is of course the music source.

It can be anything such as the CD player, portable audio, or a smartphone connected to the external DAC that I am using it for few years. This is because every DAC sound different. Most of the sound are determined by the DAC chip using on it and how the analog stages are implemented.

A good DAC makes the whole audio system sounds reveal, while a lame DAC make the audio system sound dull and boring.


The audio source such as CD player or DVD player or PC as media player, or even the iPod have their internal DAC. But sadly since the cost of production and the selling price point really determined the acceptance of their product in the market, then for the most cases, the quality of the DAC is neglected. The result by this is the sound quality is mediocre quality.

Not many people can understand how is a good sound quality. It need experienced and an appreciation to the music and the audio equipment.

For me, the definition for good sound quality is how the singer or even the musicians can deliver their emotion when playing the music into the 2 channel audio system. It is the nirvana that for most people it doesn't exists.

For years I love the sound of the Chord Mojo. This portable DAC is become my digital source in my home audio system. The Chord Hugo is the upgraded version from the Mojo. It sound more solid and warmer and I enjoy listen the music from it. But think again, I want get the best sound possible above that and for that reason, I should pay another US$2,000 to jump into the Chord Qutest or the Hugo 2 territory.

The question is, Will I get the twice sound improvement from the money I spent?

I don't think so.

That is why, having an audio knowledge is a gift for me.

I am usually make things by my own. It simply just because I want discover something new or simply because I cannot afford to buy the expensive things, so make one by myself is the only way to have a decent audio system.


In this new millennium DAC world, the implementation for all DAC are using delta sigma DAC. It is very common and cheaper to build.

But for more advance DAC system, the audio manufacture still using vintage multibit DAC architecture.

For the branded DAC device using this multibit DAC are aiming for hi-end or professional audio system. The price for that will over US$5,000. The Chord have the Dave, The dCS has the Bartok, and most of the Esoteric CD player also using this multibit DAC.

The multibit DAC are well known for more musical and very analog sound quality.

Because the DAC I had right now is, in my opinion, sound dry and less musical, then if I want to go to the next level, then I should start to using the multibit DAC. 

I should find the best way to achieve that nirvana but in more economical ways.

I think the best solution is by reuse the vintage CD player that using this multibit DAC. There are lots of well known multibit DAC IC that still can obtain today. Let's say the most popular is TDA1541, the PCM1702 and PCM1704. They have a great reputation for good sounding multibit DAC. The Audio Note also still using the multibit DAC AD1865 on their DAC line up.

So with this multibit DAC list, I will start searching the vintage unit that has this DAC on it. And this is my starting point to get the better sound from this vintage multibit DAC.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment