January 20, 2020

Audioquest Dragonfly Black Ultra Portable DAC

My old iPod touch is never absence while I am traveling.

This habit has become part of my life since 2 decades ago. But today audio format is not always the red book 16 bit from CD holy grail music. The DSD and FLAC 24 bit become a part of my music collection as well. And for that reason the iPod is become a bottleneck for this higher resolution music format.

I start to using the USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) installed in my phone. I just put an SD card and drop all my music on it. The portable DAC Chord Mojo set nicely on my home audio system and I don't want to take it while I am traveling. So I guess I need something more even portable device. It should more easy to drop in the bag and carry away.

It is quite late I know, but you will not get any bored to see the audio review for the Audioquest Dragonfly Black like this.


For the price US$80 I got this brand new Dragonfly Black DAC + headphone amplifier.

There is no other reason not to buy this USB DAC.

For the size just only like a USB thumb stick, this is the ultra portable DAC I've ever have.

On the purchased package I also got redeem code for free 60 days Roon Audio Player. This Roon Audio Player is very useful for remote home audio setups. Not for me at this moment but of course it is nice to have for this free trial.


The new version of Dragonfly Black is the version 1.5.

This new version is more efficient in power consumption that you will not notice your battery phone draw not more than your normal use.


Dragonfly has stereo 3.5 mm headphones jack output only. The output voltage is only 1,2 volt and has internal 64 step volume control. This volume control can be controlled by USB Audio Player Pro as well.

The 1,2 volt is still consider very low for crank up the dynamic of the music especially when connecting the line output to home amplifier. When compares to the Chord Mojo, this Dragonfly Black is purposely use for IEM or earphone only.

There are another option besides this Dragonfly Black, there is the Red and the Cobalt that power output 2,4 volt but the price you should consider against your wallet.


The USB socket is slightly gold plated and for sure it is thick. I feel high quality material using in this Dragonfly Black.


This is my ultra portable setup using Dragonfly Black and the USB C to USB A female converter from generic brand. The earphones that I am using is Sony Ericsson MH-1. All this setup are easily drop into my bag anytime and using it anywhere. No iPod anymore.


Playing the same WAV files converted from CD's using the iTunes, Dragonfly Black sounds more dynamic and detail compares to iPod. The layers of each instrument separated better. The mid-range sound such as vocal and sax seems thicker on this Dragonfly Black.

While the Dragonfly light indicator stays green while playing 16 bit music format, it can also glowing other color based on what music format that it playing. When I put music files DSD 24 bit, 92 kHz, it glow magenta. Playing hi-res music format in Dragonfly Black makes music attacking with more details and refined sound.

Previously I also had the Sony NW-A55. I using it on my trip to Bali last year. You can check it here. To be honest, The Sony sound more polished and better on the mid-range. More likely the Sony sound signature. While the Dragonfly Black deliver more detail and spacious sound. In my opinion, the Sony NW-A55 slightly sound better compares to Dragonfly Black. Perhaps the contender to Sony NW-A55 should be the Red or Cobalt.

I think this is all I can say about this ultra portable DAC + headphone amplifier.

Cheers.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment