July 11, 2016

Looking Back To My 20th Years Old Speakers

Flashing back to my teenage era, I have built many audio project. Many of them are only for the experimental purpose. But there is one project that stays quite long on my listening room and I could say this speakers is the most successful project I've ever built. I still have it right now and if I am not mistaken, the last service of those speakers are about 8 years ago. It is still a beautiful speakers and working like charm until today:)


At that time, there is no free information on the desk or at home. There is no internet, limited audio magazine and almost no audio community especially for DIY audio. All you have to do to get those information is go outside, pay taxi to the audio components store, involved to what peoples are talking, buy components, and try by yourself. Then repeat those steps until you get the points.

It is far from what I feel today. Open web browser, read many blogs, forum, product catalog, photos, give comments and get +1 from google+. It is more simplify and I enjoy what today technology offers. It is more efficient and I also can shopping online to saves the time and taxis bill:)

So, back to this project, This speaker is floor standing sealed type 2 way speakers system. I remember that I spent so much time to tweak the cross over to get the best possible sound. The woofer is 8 inch driver from Teisco. You probably will never hear this brand. It is local brand from imported China drivers that common in my country.

I using 8 inch woofer to get the best solid bass possible on 2 way speakers system. I never prefer using sub-woofer even from early my audio journey. I feel the overall sound using a sub-woofer system are even worser.

The speaker box is pre-build from my local electronic store. Not a good box consider there is no information for good speakers builder at that time, yet I don't have much money to effort more:)

Now let's see the inside of this speakers. Hmn.. I am using 2 type sound deadening which I remember both of them offering the benefit on bass and mid-range frequency to be better. Then the cross over board? Hmn.. quite tidy works I can say for me 20 years ago. It is glued to the box and covered with the wool.

Looking the components that I am using at that time, It is cheap components and surprisingly I made the -12 db for woofer and -24db for tweeter. At that time, I also already aware of the benefit of using bypass capacitors to higher grade for better audio and a resistor for attenuate the tweeter level. For the 2 way speakers system, they are already complicated and maybe, that is the reason for me to change my point of view to full-range single driver speakers until today.

The tweeter is Pioneer TS-M5 which offer good response audio from 5 to 15 khz. Noted the third order capacitor are directly attach to the tweeter pin terminal. This tweeter is made from paper and very popular on vintage speakers.



That's all I can see from what I've been doing on this speakers from 20 years ago. It is like having a time travel machine and leap me back to the time I build and modify this speakers. A nice holiday I get with only a memorial things I found on my storage room:)

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment