July 18, 2016

Affordable Power Cord For Audio Is Volex

It is hard to be true that a short length power cord between amplifier to wall socket could make a significant difference in audio. Honestly I never believe that until I did the test from cheap power cord compare to the DIY Furutech - Belden power cord from my friend. It really sound different! The price for making it is reach US$ 200! Hmn... expensive. Let me show you the comparable power cord, yet affordable and cheap. Take a look!


Before I jump to the main topic, I often check my home electricity connection. I regularly check and tightening the bolt on the main circuit breaker. They are often loose by time goes. I am also make sure that I am using good quality MCB (I choose Schneider) and all the cable in my house already using single solid electricity cable. By doing this, all my electronic device are safe from poor connection, thus my audio system are feed by good electric source.

I am using generic thick power cord to my audio system. They actually comes from every purchased of my computers. They are mostly from China manufacture, I-Sheng, Shao-Lin, Cheng Yean and whatever the name they stated. The cable quality is looks okay, but it is not good enough for audio.

After an audition of my friends power cord, I little bit dizzy thinking about making one. I can heard the wider sound stage, more solid bass and pronounce vocal. It is just a 1 meter power cord that change the sound at all.

Then, I immediately search for the cheaper solution of the IEC socket. Furutech is expensive. The specific Belden cable is also hard to find here. Then there are others brands from Hubble, Cardas, or Wattgate but the total price for making this one power cord nearly reach US$100! Oooh noo... I better buy a new speaker for that amount of money!

Luckily I have spent quite longer with his Furutech - Belden power cord. I am now aware the differences and quite remember the advantage from it. Then I compare it to all my power cord at my bin. At least every 2 days I change the power cord and going back again and again. It is a time consuming until I found this good quality Volex power cord!

As I remember this Volex usually comes from Apple product and the quality is awesome! I also don't know why I just mention it right now. This power cord is the closest result to Furutech - Belden power cord, yet in my opinion, is almost the same.

Let's see the material inside:) Compare it side by side to the others China power cord, you will notice how good the rubber quality from Volex.



Inside it, there is a socket for holding the connector terminals. Very neat design!

Opening this socket is just an easy slide off.



Here they are! the better quality cooper terminal with the tight cable crimped.



The copper wires perhaps not the best especially compares to Belden cable. But It is the best out there compare to others generic China cables. The thickness and the total strains are good enough, It is about 18 AWG cable gauge.

Not to waste anything, I am now using it in my system and forget the rest (for a while). Volex company should be happy now to having a good review like this:)

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment