March 27, 2015

DIY High Quality 3.5 mm Mini Jack

I don't find any high quality mini jack in the market with affordable price. Most of them are ugly and low quality. The cable length also cannot be customized based on our need. Let's say I need this mini jack to connect between my iPod to the portable amplifier, it just need a few centimeter, but the shortest length for this mini jack in the market is 1 meter which is too long. That is why I prefer to make one just like in this post.


In my opinion, the high quality mini jack should meet this criteria:

It should be smoothly to plug in - plug out to the device.

It should have strong yet conductive material.

Because I should attach the cable to this mini jack with solder, then the pins terminal should easy to solder.

The last criteria is should be nice looking of course.

My personal reference mini jack that meet all of those criteria is this Canare F-12. It is made in Japan but it is pricy and bulky. I think I will skip this for now.


Then I found this Australian made, the Amphenol at my local store. With the all criteria said above, this mini jack has it all. So this would be my recommendation for this DIY high quality mini jack.


As I look it very closely, this Amphenol mini jack have good quality and precise finished. I bought several pieces and all of them are exactly in the same quality.



The cable that I use for this mini jack is the high quality Canare L-2B2AT. This cheap stereo cable is surprisingly made in Japan and very suitable for this project.

This Amphenol jack and Canare cable really fit well and they look nice.

So this is my DIY high quality mini jack that I can recommend to anyone.



Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment