March 9, 2015

Pioneer DV-373S (Part 2) Audio Components Upgrade

Continuing my previous post here, I am now disassemble this DVD player initially for cleaning purpose. Then, this end up with a simple component upgrade. I will change the capacitor and the op-amp to the better one.

Let's enjoy this process.


Dissemble all the parts in this unit is quite easy. All bolts are marked so I just need unscrew all and remove the parts one by one.


The DVD mechanism here is bolt directly into the chassis without any damper on it. Technically this mechanism should dampening with some rubber t avoid vibration. This vibration can cause error to the optic when reading the disc.

Since I cannot add the damper on this unit, so I just put washers on each bolt. This will help to reduce vibration a little bit.



The main board is the central processing circuit. It handle for all servos, unit control, audio and video.

Since I only focusing to the audio, so the upgrade will be only on the components surrounding the DAC IC. There are three capacitor near the PCM1742 that connected between the DAC to the line out. This capacitor will be replace with Elna Silmic.



Once the old capacitor removed, I clearly can see that the board quality, especially the PCB traces are very thin. They break easily on one soldering process.


Continue to this component upgrade, I will change the op-amp as well.


The op-amp is easy to remove.


In this upgrade, I will replace the stock op-amp with AD823.



After the new op-amp installed, then it is time for the new capacitor comes in.


For digital power supply, the best capacitor for this is Sanyo Os-con. This capacitor will replace only at DAC section.


This is the photo of completed upgrade components. Right now I cannot see what underneath the capacitors since they are bigger then before.




The next upgrade is on power supply circuit. I only make small upgrade by changing few capacitor.



Elna Silmic, Panasonic FC and Nichicon Fine Gold, all capacitors that I already have on hand are using here.


I also put the snubber capacitor at the back of the board. They are installed back to back to the electrolytic capacitor above them. This capacitor will improve ripple rejection from this electrical noisy power supply.


The upgrade is now finish.


Sound impression after upgrade

Once I play music with this Pioneer DV-373S in my audio system, I notice an improvement on the sound-stage. It is slightly wider than before. The bass response is also improve, it not too loud like the first time played, right now the bass have more control in the timing. A good sign.

Speaking about the sound detail, I don't think this upgrade make any difference at all. So far with this upgrade, the sound of the singer it is now more forward, more emphasis on mid-range.

The treble is same as before, a little bit smoother but still uneasy to hear.

The components upgrade result for this Pioneer DV-373S is not really satisfying. The improvement is not as I expected. But anyway, I like the process of upgrading this unit and let's see if I can make any further components upgrade next time.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment