November 7, 2014

DIY LM3886 Gainclone Car Amplifier

I am happy with the sound come from Gainclone amplifier. I using it in my home audio system and I wondering if I can have it on my car as well. I think it would be a lovely idea. What I knew that Gramond car audio, a brand, using the same Gainclone amplifier circuit on their amplifier line up. Gramond sell this car amplifier for around US$350 each. It is a car Gainclone amplifier with tone control.

I think, in this post,  I will make one for myself. I want pure amplification from the Gainclone amplifier without any pre-amplifier or tone control. So here it is.


The first things I will do is using the unused Taiwan made amplifier. I clean the amplifier casing than remove all components on amplifier section. This Taiwan made is works but doesn't sound good. So I will using the power supply section only to powering the Gainclone amplifier.

Further more, by inspecting the OEM components inside this Taiwan made amplifier, I am very confident with the quality of this power supply components is good enough. This Taiwan made amplifier using the Mosfet from Motorola which are good and reliable.



The PCB is high quality dual layer board. The capacitor are mostly Bennic which are also a good choice for OEM manufacture product like this.


At the power supply section, I do upgrade those capacitors. I am using my favorite capacitor from Panasonic FC. They are high-temp and high quality with affordable price. I will take the voltage output from the power supply and connect to the Gainclone IC voltage pin. They are measure differential voltage about +/- 23 volt which suitable for LM3886 Gainclone amplifier.


All connection at the amplifier section is done by point-to-point wiring. This will be a better signal transfer and doesn't need the existing PCB at all. I only took the point on the PCB where the voltage are connected from the power supply near to the amplifier circuit.



When it is done, now look how simple is that.



Back to the car, all of my car audio installation is done by myself and it is very easy for me to swap the components, especially for this new amplifier.



This new Gainclone amplifier installation is done.





I found that the gain from the amplifier is not as high as others car amplifier I've ever tested, but for sure I am really happy with the result so far.

The sound quality is flat, really flat in my opinion. The bass are rolled-off if the head unit are not adjusted properly. In this setting, I am using Pioneer DEH-P8850MP which has all the feature for audio adjustment, such as auto time alignment, auto EQ, and BBE. After all audio setting are completely adjusted, the sound really refined. This is really a good car amplifier.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment