November 26, 2021

Another Ultimate DAC Build (Part 5) AD1865NK

Yes, it is been awhile since I finished my another ultimate DAC using AD1865 with CXD1144 Sony over-sampling IC. I made this DAC including a simple headphone amplifier in one box, just for make this unit more functional. I will consider to add another line output and the selector switch just to give an option if this DAC want to connect to other audio system or just like this, using the headphone out.

But for now, I am quite often listen through my headphone with this DAC, so I will let this unit just like this for a while.

This AD1865 DAC has been reviewed by my friend. I leave it for a week at his house so he can evaluate the sound quality deeply. He is using Arcam TDA1541 S1 CD player modify to a DAC. He is also using Rotel CD player as transport, Camelot External Digital Filter and I am not sure about the power amplifier and the speakers he use. Please continue reading.


As you can see from the photo above, I've change the AD1865N to the highest grade is the NK. Although I am not really push myself to get the K grade on every DAC I built, because it is of course better on specs, but the cost to obtain it also not cheap.

The other reason is just because I like the sound of this AD1865. Even in the normal N grade.

Since there is one AD1865NK available for me, so I just spending more money to get the improvement from it. This NK grade gives significant sound stage improvement, darker back ground and clearer vocals.


A little story before I bring this DAC to my friend house, this DAC is intended to use with headphone. And if this DAC want to connect to my friend's audio system, I need to make a modification on the line output. I bypass the output directly from the op-amps output by put the jumper wire after it. This jumper connect to female RCA connector and become the line output.


I also replaced the JRC 5532D to my favorite Signetics NE5532N. You can experienced by yourself that same type of 5532 op-amps gives slightly improvement just using this Signetics brand.

A week passes, I took my DAC back. He is impressed how good the design and of course, the sound quality of this DAC.

I think I am speechless to say anything more about this ultimate AD1865NK DAC except it is nice to see inside out and the sound is so wonderful.








Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

5 comments:

  1. Hello! unfortunately i don't speak english (very little) but google helps. :)
    I'm reading your blog with interest, very good!
    Sorry to comment here, but I have a question about the Clarion optical input!
    I have an old Clarion DRX 9375r Headunit and a Clarion DPH 9300 dsp.The dsp has 2 digital inputs.
    I can send a circuit diagram of this. And my question is: do you think you can do the SPDIF input like you would on your DRX 9255 headunit?
    Makes sense? The DACs (in DSP) "only" PCM67U Burr-Brown (3x). I read these were not the best. There is no problem with the sound otherwise.
    Thanks! best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your commwnt. First of all, Not all audio system can be hack like I did on DRX9255. Like the early model, the HXD1 using almost the same components as DRX9255, but the micro processor doesn’t allow to be modified to accept spdif input on the CS8414 receiver unit.
      Same like the unit you’ve mention above, it will be much difficult to tracce even with the manual
      on hands.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply! If I try to do the SPDIF input, can I theoretically ruin the DSP or will it just not work? Thanks also for the in-ear headset (Sony) tip! 😃

      Delete
    3. It depends on the digital receiver IC inside the unit, compare it to the datasheet first and it should be at the first chain of the DSP. I looking to the PCM67U datasheet, theoriticaly it can but the problem is like you’ve mentioned above, first, the function of the DSP can work properly or not. Second: is the microprocessor allow you to do that.
      Why not take another route? Previously I am using pioneer KEH-P9750 and it using analog input. Then internally it convert the analog to digital then all the DSP can work properly to the signal because it is in digital, then it convert again to analog after the DSP.

      Delete
  2. My system (with some tricks) still works, (Zte Axon7 analog output-cinch-Dph analog input), but I was excited to try the digital input on your blog.
    I also have another head unit, a JVC (with bluetooth, USB, time alligment, 3 way crossover, etc) but I don't like the sound! Clarion is much better WITHOUT all kinds of magic! And I'm not an audiophile!
    I compared the wiring diagram of DRX9255EXL and DPH9300.
    To be sure: the digit jack, the MC74HC00AF, the TC7WU04F, the circuits connecting them are the same, even the Clarion part numbers! I will continue, but I will have to print the wiring diagrams first because it is difficult to follow on the phone.

    ReplyDelete