July 1, 2021

DIY Fiio M5 Digital SPDIF Coaxial Output Cable

I was looking a portable player to replace my LG DVD player here as my current CD transport. The reason for this is I want more simple audio system. As you may know that my LG DVD player has digital SPDIF output. This SPDIF is Sony Philips Digital Interface, the standardized in digital audio format from the early digital audio system. This output is connected to the external DAC for the better sound quality.

I was looking portable player that support this digital SPDIF output but it is not an easy task since all input output connection for digital has been shift to the USB connection. The USB is actually a better improvement for multi purpose function, but for audio purpose, I still believe that the SPDIF gives better sound. Other than that, all my DAC input is using SPDIF input. So, no way I want to switch to the USB either.

I was looking the used Fiio X series from the X1, X3 and X5. They are all support this digital SPDIF output but somehow the used price still above US$100. This is expensive for a portable player that more than 5 years old.

All new portable player already remove this digital SPDIF output until I find this Fiio M5.

Funny it marked COAX OUT instead of SPDIF output although the function is all the same.


The output selector for this Fiio M5 can be set to headphones out, line out, and digital SPDIF out. The digital SPDIF output is what I am looking for in this unit.

The size of this unit in my opinion is ultra portable and I don't have any complaint about the design since it is looks cool.


As usual, I will not extend my review same with the others already did. I am only focusing from what I am really looking from this device, is the digital SPDIF output.

In this test I am connecting this digital SPDIF output to the multibit DAC PCM56 here.

Using the audio output through this digital SPDIF output is pure, bypassing the internal volume control. This is also the same when using the analog line output as well. So I will adjust the volume control on the amplifier that connected after the DAC PCM56 analog output.

This Fiio M5 is capable to playing the DSD files. It has 2 SPDIF setting for the DSD output.

The DoP is DSD over PCM, means DSD will be not convert to PCM

The D2P is DSD to PCM, means DSD will convert to PCM.

I testing this setting by playing DSD music files though the digital SPDIF output to my PCM56 DAC but it not worked at all. So I stick to the 16 bit WAV music files that I have converted from the original CD's.


This Fiio M5 user interface is also easy to use since all menus are accessible by a small touch screen. I also can change the physical buttons layout setting correspondences to my personal use. Overall this user interface is good enough.

The only issue I got is on the touch screen, I have a minor issue when pin point from my finger to the screen is not precise as I intended. The input from the surface touched is a little drift above from my finger point.

So after I familiar with this Fiio M5 menu, I put my SD card on it, format it and begin to transfer my music files that stored on the iTunes folder on my PC to this SD card.

Fiio M5 doesn't put the digital SPDIF output connector in the purchased package. So I should made it by my own.


What I need is a TRRS or 4 pole 3.5mm mini jack and a male RCA connector.

The cable that I am using here is striped from the Belden CAT-6 LAN cable. It is contain solid copper cables and suit for the digital cable like this.



On most mini jack connection, the bottom sleeve is normally for a ground. But as you can see from the photo above, for this Fiio M5, the sleeve in the TRRS mini jack is the positive digital signal, then the ring after the sleeve is the digital ground.

For the RCA connection is the same as standard connection which is the tip for the positive digital signal and body for digital ground.

And this how the cables looks like when finished.


I found that most people still thinks all digital signal will sound the same. No matter you are using expensive CD transport or only using this Fiio M5, they will sound the same because digital language only know 1 and 0. But I bet they are all wrong.

So this what I found when comparing the digital SPDIF output from this Fiio M5 compare with my previous LG DVD Player.


For additional information, I using this LG DVD player only for playing CD. I am not connecting this DVD player to TV anyway.

When I change from the LG DVD player to this Fiio M5, I notice there are slightly difference in sound quality. The Fiio M5 sound a little compressed in the mid range. This is become less pronouce, not as rich as the LG DVD Player.

This compressed Fiio M5 sound also effecting to the detail in the mid range frequency as well, but again, the difference is minor. I need to switch the devices from one to another and pay attention in every detail of the songs played. It is a subtle difference for both device and at the end I still can accept this Fiio M5 as the replacement for my LG DVD player.

For your curiosity, this is the photo of my LG DVD player inside. Previously I have replace most of the capacitor inside with the better grade.


I want to end this post but I just wondering, do you want to know how this Fiio M5 analog line out sound quality is? So here is my experience with it.

I changed the Fiio M5 output setting to the line out.

The sound quality from the line out connected to my headphone amplifier sound open and detail. It has good resolution and wide sound stage in the music presentation. I compare the sound quality of this Fiio M5 to my iPod touch with the same setup and I prefer the iPod touch sound quality because it sound more smooth and fuller.

Then I change the Fiio M5 output to the headphone out and pair directly with my Sony MH1C earphones, this where the Fiio M5 shines above the iPod. With the same earphone, it is simply the power output from Fiio M5 is much higher than the iPod. The sound quality result on Fiio M5 clearly more dynamic, more powerful especially in complex music arrangement.

The overall sound signature of this Fiio M5 very similar to the Fiio M3 here.

My conclusion for this Fiio M5 is a good device. Better design and sound quality compares to the iPod touch or the previous Fiio M3.

The best things for this Fiio M5 is the digital SPDIF output. It is a pure digital output without internal volume control interference.

This brand new Fiio M5 are still available today. I don't see any portable player right now in this price range or above offering this digital SPDIF output anymore.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment