June 19, 2021

DAC LPF Op-amps Comparison OPA1642 NE5532 LM4562

My multibit DAC built here and here sound wonderful.

Previously I did some changes especially in all technical aspect and evaluate the sound quality improvement from that changes. Like in this post, the DAC is dual PCM56P then using internal IV converter to the LPF section.

The LPF section in every DAC is very critical. The good calculated LPF can reveal the DAC sound potential because no digital glitch occurs on the analog output. The LPF is not only made by the combination of the resistors and capacitor network, but the op-amp become the major factor to the sound improvement.

So in this post, I will review some op-amp that more suitable in this DAC LPF section.


The op-amp I am using here is the most popular types and they having many good review from DIY community.

The photo above is the TI NE5532P. This is one of my favorite op-amp for ages.

Previously I am using BB OPA1642. This is the best technical specification and the most expensive among them. The price is US$ 3 compare to NE5532P is less than US$ 1 each.

The new contender is National Semiconductor LM4562, the price in in the middle of both two.


All op-amps in this test are DIP except the OPA1642 is in SOIC package. This means I should using the SOIC converter to DIP to fit into the socket.


I am using OPA1642 at the first time I finished this PCM56 DAC built a month ago. They are both from the same company which is the Burr-brown and I am enjoying the sound quality so much from this combination.

Then I curious how good is US$ 1 op-amp?

I change the op-amp with the very popular NE5532P and I am quite surprise for the result. This cheap op-amp is the most natural sounding op-amp compare to the bright sounding OPA1642.

The OPA1642 has more open at the high frequency, it is more detail but it noticeable sharp and edgy sound. When I do serious listening test between them, just an A - B testing, not back and forth, I found the OPA1642 creates more noise at upper frequency because of those high frequency details. Then I also experience the mid range of this OPA1642 is more laid back and the presentation is more natural, which is quite good in my opinion. The imaging is also very good, the pin point instruments are separated clearly. This is also with the large sound stage on overall music presentation.

The NE5532P in my opinion has the smooth high frequency presentation. This not attenuate the details of the music at the high frequency but instead, those detail is still reveal as is. I like the mid range presentation from this cheap op-amp. It is slightly warm but still maintain the natural vocal presentation without too much coloration in the sound. While this NE5532 surprisingly still having good imaging on every instruments and I guess it is lots better than the OPA1642 for long listening session. The soundstage somehow not as large as the OPA1642, but it is still in the good level of soundstage presentation.

The latest op-amp that I am still using until now is LM4562. Some say it is the same as LME49720, but anyway this LM4562 is lot cheaper. The sound difference after using NE5532P to this LM4562 is somehow so much different. Especially on the sound-stage and overall music presentation is more forward with this LM4562. It is not a wider sound stage among those previous op-amps I have tested. I also feels the music is more focus in the center. This creating superior imaging for the vocal while sacrifice the wider music sound-stage and music presentation. The high frequency are more open, more detail than NE5532P but still maintain smoother presentation compares to the OPA1642. On my long listening session, I like how this LM4562 creating the sound more focus on the presentation on the music.

So I think there is no absolute winner in this comparison. I am now using LM4562 just because I want evaluate it longer. Personally I like NE5532P more than all. This is still the best op-amp to the price while the OPA1642 is not really suit my personal music taste.

This review is totally subjective. I listen each op-amps in a weeks then immediate change it to another. What I can suggest when do this op-amps rolling, stick to one op-amps that you familiar with, like me is the NE5532P, then do the sound comparison to the new one.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment